Thursday, June 19, 2008

When the Minister comes a-visiting...

 

The cheerful team of visitors making a surprise visit.
 

With Mr. Lui Tuck Yew.

I was playing the piano when someone came to the gate. He was a locksmith, and was persuading me to change the lock which could be attached onto the gate and which also could open the main door. I told him I was quite happy with my current lock.

Later, another two men came to my door. I told them I would not want to change the lock. They said, "We are from the Grassroots. The MP, Mr. Lui is visiting you soon".

"Can I have your identification please?" Just then Mr. Lui appeared!

"Oh! My gosh! I thought that ministers would only meet residents at Community Centres.

The group smiled. "Yes, I do make house calls", said Mr Lui, smiling. One of the team members asked how long I had been staying at my apartment. I told them it had been less than a year. "No wonder!"

"Can I take a photo of you all to show that you are going around the block visiting residents.? Wow, how many hours do you take?"

Later, Mr. Lui came in, and since he is the Minister of Education and Minister of Information, Communications and the Arts, I asked him about Ik See's scholarship at Curtis University. I shared that it would be great if the Ministry of Education could work hand in hand with MINDEF on special arrangements for rare talent.

Maybe it is because I am hardly at home all these years in Singapore. My evenings are often occupied with church meetings, toastmasters' meetings, property viewing and social gatherings. This was a rare opportunity that I happened to be at home. What a pleasant surprise! If I had known earlier, I would have prepared some drinks and made my home tidier! I appreciate Mr. Lui Tuck Yew and his grassroot leaders going around from flat to flat in this warm, humid weather. Even my tenant, Ashok and his friend, Jasmin, were quite excited about meeting the Minister. I have never once gone to the Community Centre because I hardly have complaints. Even if I do, I would prefer to address the issue directly with the department concerned. I feel that the Members of Parliament are already busy ....I do not have to trouble them with issues that irritate me.

May God bless our leaders and every resident in Singapore. May we be a nation of happy people who take things in our stride and who count our blessings and name them one by one.

Gan Chau




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twit!

The Oriental Express said...

Hello there! Who is that? Is it a little bird making some cute and lovely sound? Please reveal yourself as I would like to get to know you better. :-)