Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Music - An International Language!

Music is an international "language" that the world understands! Last night, I had a pleasant surprise when my cousin's daughter called me to inform me that she wanted to visit me at the hotel. Girlie is a very busy career lady and hence, I appreciate her wanting to spend some time to take me out for dinner. She suggested Ingolf and I did not mind to go to the German restaurant again, this time to try the Mediterranean salad. Girlie particularly likes Ingolf's black pepper sauce. I told Girlie I would teach her how to make black pepper sauce when I visit their home during Chinese New Year.

After dinner, I decided to go to the Stars Lounge again to listen to the singers. This time, I realised there were quite a number of Caucasians. They enjoyed the music, and since a couple were sitting next to our table, I told them that they could request for English songs as well, as the local Malaysian singer, Mr. C.C. Ong, could sing in a few different languages. Later, the waitress brought some flowers and the couple generously bought a bouquet for Mr. Ong. The lady singers and staff are excellent in their Public Relations. They recognised me and waved to me, and a few of them even came to chat with me and Girlie.

I told Girlie that I have a soft spot for the singers because they bring back memories of my beloved papa, who used to work in the nightclub as a bandmaster. During papa's time, there would always be a 5 man band to accompany the singers. Today, only one deejay is needed to play the music for the singers! Some customers were very generous, and it was just great the see the singers receiving their bouquets of flowers which range from MR50 to MR500. In Singapore, I hardly have time to visit KTV lounges and hence, I enjoyed the time listening to renditions of popular songs. Somehow I prefer older songs which seem to have nicer tunes.

During the previous night, I noticed there was a group of Saudi Arabians in the Lounge, and they too seemed to enjoy the music. Indeed music connects people regardless of race, culture and religion!

What would life be like without the Sound of Music? Indeed, music makes my world go round!

No comments: