Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Much Ado About Penang!

Greetings from Penang, the Pearl of the Orient! I am typing in the Internet Centre of Copthorne Orchid, Penang. This is my third day of stay at this lovely beach hotel.

Penang is so beautiful, as always! I love the beaches at Tanjong Bungah and Batu Feringhi. I will post photos when I am back in Singapore.

Yesterday evening, my sister-in-law, Saw Kim, and I went for dinner at the popular German Restaurant, Ingolf's Kneipe. The food and service were excellent, and the price extremely reasonable. No wonder the restaurant is always well-patronised. After dinner, we decided to pop in at the Hotel KTV Lounge where some singers from China were performing. There was a local singer, Mr. Ong and he was excellent...very humorous and versatile. He sang in Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese, English and Malay!

This morning, brother Kee Seng came to fetch us for breakfast at a local coffee shop. The Hokkien and Curry noodles were excellent and cost only MR3.00 per bowl. The parking fees would make Singaporeans turn green with envy.......thirty Malaysian cents for half an hour!
I try not to contain my joy and surprise, for we Singaporeans have been likened to the birds that go around chirping, "Cheap, cheap, cheep, cheep....." However, I notice that some of the imported clothings cost more here.

Penangnites are such warm and friendly people. Most people prefer to cook their own reunion dinner than to dine at the restaurant. I guess there is always that element of warmth and greater camaraderie when we are in the home. I really look foward to the reunion dinner at home.

My niece, Tyng, who just arrived from Kuala Lumpur last night was supposed to join me at the hotel, but she had taken ill. Hence, I would be staying on my own for today. Brother was concerned that I would be alone, but I reminded him that I had travelled round the world so many times on my own. Now that I realise it, I have never ever felt lonely in my life! When I am with people, I enjoy the company of friends, colleagues and relatives. But I also love it when I am on my own. There is so much peace, solace and serenity when I am on my own. I feel the sweet presence of the Lord. There are so many interesting things to do. How I wish there were 48 hours in a day!

I am thankful for the opportunity to be back home in Penang. Now with my improved health from the scalar quantum pendant, I am able to walk for long distances along the beach. I always feel so refreshed and rejuvenated after spending my vacation here.

May Penang always remain as beautiful and charming as ever. May God bless the people and government of Malaysia.

No comments: