Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sorry - a simple five letter word yet......

As the luxury coach reached the Beach Road Bus Terminal, I thanked the bus drivers for having driven the bus safely all the way from Penang. I had felt so happy with the swift clearance at Tuas Immigration, and my heart swelled with pride as the bus made its way along first class highways lined with miles of greenery. I always look forward to coming home after each trip overseas.

I was able to arrive home on time to make it to the 9.45 a.m. church service nearby. After the service, I went to my favourite store to get my morning papers. I was dismayed when I read the headlines of the New Paper, "First, trishaw uncle. Now.... Tissue aunty mocked over her jingle." But she says, "never mind". Who's laughing at her?" It appeared that five groups of youngsters have made video clips making fun of her and the song, and put them on the internet. The clips have drawn furious responses from other netizens.

Notice the response and defense of the youngsters.? They claimed that the video clip was never about mocking anyone. Likewise the three Britons who also claimed that they were just having fun, and not mocking the trishaw uncle.

Are our youngsters of today so lacking in ideas and creativity that they have to mimic and make fun at the expense of others? Could they not modify the idea and come up with perhaps selling another item and coming up with their own theme song? That would indeed be called creativity! For example, they could pretend to be staff of the Singapore Tourism Board, and think of how they would help to promote tourism. Perhaps, they can come up with an attractive advertisement and theme song?

In fact I have met Madam Neo a few times and even commended her on her powerful voice which could be heard far away. I had been touched that she would take the trouble to print a scriptural verse from the Bible and stick it onto every packet of tissue paper. It is her way of promoting God's love. Despite her disability and hard life, she is always cheerful and optimisitc. She brushed off these imitators, and even said, "I'm happy they can have some fun out of this. If there's a chance, I hope to be able to hear their versions." I would like to think these youngsters did not mean to be cruel, but they are definitely insensitive.

"Sorry" - a simple five letter word, yet one which seems to be sparingly used. Our S.M. Lee has been encouraging Singaporeans to be more gracious. I guess the first step towards this, is for all of us to be quick to say sorry when the occasion calls for it. We all go through life, realising that we make mistakes during our moments of carelessness and thoughtlessness. The simple five letter word is like a balm that soothes in our daily interaction and relationship with one another. When we sincerely apologise for our wrongdoings, the little word of sorry works like magic. It breaks down barriers of anger, pride, frustration and builds and restores forgiveness, goodwill and generosity

We must always try to put ourselves in the shoes of others, so that we can try to feel as they feel. I thank God I am not wheel chair bound, and every time I see Madam Neo, I purposely buy some tissue papers from her by way of encouragement.

Perhaps the above publicity could be a blessing in disguise. I hope Madam Neo will have more brisk sales and more people will be encouraged by her quiet strength, cheerfulness and optimism.

No comments: