Thursday, August 21, 2008

Of Getais and Talents

Recently, my manager, Aveline Tan, lent me a VCD, "881" a movie about two Papaya sisters. I enjoyed the movie as a large part of the conversation was in Hokkien dialect, my mother tongue. Also the getai singing made me think of papa a lot. As a self taught musician and band master, papa had played in many getais in Penang. At one time, my eldest sister, Lee Lee, was also singing on the getai stage. Many nicknamed her "Ge Lan" as they thought she was a look-a-like and a sing-a-like of the popular movie star/songstress.

Being the least musical and the ugly duckling in my family, I was spared from singing in getais.! However, papa had encouraged my second sister and I to play the violin and piano on stage when he was helping to raise funds in a concert in aid of the under-privileged. Nevertheless, I have always enjoyed the getai songs and music even though I had never studied Mandarin. Today, I can play by ear a number of tunes on the piano. I read about Cody Lee, a talented four year old child, who has become a hit on the getai stage. Although initially reluctant, her parents finally allowed her to sing on the stage after talking to Cody's mentor, Penny Kho. Spreading the joy of music through getai performances is one of the ways to bring music to the masses. Not everyone will be able to afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a rock/pop concert. As papa had always said, "Music has power!"

Sometimes when I pass by a getai performance, I would stop by to listen for a few minutes or longer, if I did not have to rush. I enjoy the singing and the spontaneity of the performers. Frankly I do not feel there is anything bad or sleazy about getai performances. Eldest sister became a teacher of Chinese and Bahasa Malaysia in the secondary school, despite her having sung in getais. We are in the world and hence cannot avoid being thrown into the limelight or situations because of our talent. However, whether we make good or bad out of anything is dependent on ourselves.

For example, my siblings and I were raised in the notorious gangster village of Jelutong in Penang, but none of us turned out to be gangsters! Having a mother who was quite an addicvitve gambler also did not influence any of us to become gamblers!

Life is what you make of it. It helps to be positive and empathetic and perhaps less judgemental. It amazes me how people are often quick to judge, or to generalise and stereotype. Some people frowned when they found that I am living in Little India. In fact, I love living here the most because apart from the breeziness and convenience of this superb city location, I am proud to say that so far, there has never been a break in or theft. We can leave our clothes and shoes in the area outstide our apartment, and these will remain intact. I like my caring neighbours. Although they are simple folks, they have so much dignity and integrity.

Let us all have minds that are like plastercine.....soft, yet, moldable so that we can keep an open mind that is receptive and quick to learn, unlearn and re-learn.

Gan Chau


No comments: