Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympian Fever!

I have never been interested in Sports until today, when like many throughout the world, I am struck with the Olympian Fever! Whenever I read the newspapers, I would always skip the sports section. However, now it would be the first section I read as I want to find out the latest results or comments from the journalists and editors.!

I enjoy watching the intense and expressive faces of every world class competitor! I admire the determination and fighting spirit of opponents who are losing and are fighting the battle to overthrow the other team!

In football, I realise how difficult it is to even score a goal! The field is so huge, and the competitors have so much stamina! I also admire the referee who has to run around the whole field and to avoid the ball and players and yet to keep an eagle eye on the whole game!

I had a dilemma to choose watching the finals between Singapore and China last night as I also had to attend a concert "Music of the Romantic Era" by the Braddell Heights Symphony Orchestra conducted by Mr. Yan Yin Wing. I had already purchased the tickets and arranged to be at the concert with my friend, Geok Cheng. It would be bad stewardship to waste my tickets and my teacher, Mr. Yan would also be disappointed if I did not turn up. Also, I think the excitement of the game would be too much for me. I remember how nervous I was when I was watching second sister, Ean Ean, performing a solo piece on the violin in the school concert. I can imagine how the coaches and the families of all contestants must be feeling. This is probably the reasons why surgeons normally do not operate on their loved ones. This is also the reason why I do not market my own property. As a property agent, I would still prefer to have other agents market my property as I would be too emotional and end up not doing a good job.

During the concert interval, I sms-ed my tenant, Jasmin, to find out the results of the table tennis competition. China won. I was sure, our Singaporean team must have put up a good fight. We are happy to win a silver medal! We will improve in the next Olympics!

The soloist, Dr. Catherine Yan, played the piano brilliantly. We enjoyed her Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor". When I came home, I was happy to see the telecast of the finals on television again.

The most important lesson that I have learnt from the Olympics is that it is such a great blessing to keep ourselves fit and healthy. One has to be both physically and mentally fit to overcome all obstacles!

Gan Chau


No comments: