Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Please, please, play a part ....

AT 120 DEGREES IN AUSTRALIA , IT WAS SO HOT FOR A WEEK THAT KOALAS


WERE ASKING PEOPLE FOR WATER. IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE.


 

 

ONE WENT TO A HOUSE TO TRY TO HIDE FROM THE HEAT AND TO GET

A BIT OF SHADE AND HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THE OWNER GAVE
HIM SOMETHING TO DRINK. IT'S REALLY CUTE.




 

 
Posted by Picasa


When I received the above pictures in an email forwarded by a friend, Soo Kiat, I smiled. Such an adorable koala! I also felt sad because the little koala must have been so thirsty that it overcame its shyness and ventured out in the search for water.

Koalas are very shy animals. These lucky cyclists and the family must have felt privileged to be able to give the koala some badly needed water.

Though the weather is very hot now, I only use the fan and find myself sleeping quite comfortably without the aircon. I open up my windows and the flat is airy enough. I wear thin materials for sleepwear so as to avoid the heat. Hence I cannot understand why some people would wear thick materials with equally thick blankets and turn on the airconditioners at the maximum temperature for cool air!
What a waste of resources!

I also wonder why some people must make the rooms so cold. Worse, to leave on airconditioning when no one is around. Even when my clients asked me to turn on the airconditioning when I was showing an apartment, I would not do so unless it was
extremely humid on that particular day. It does not imply that as I am not the one paying the electrical bills, I would just splurge on others' resources.

During the months of November to January, the weather was so much cooler, and I found that I did not have to turn on even my fans when I went to bed. I recyled all the water I used for my plants. My utitlities bill amounted to about only $18.00.
Now that the weather is warmer, my bill amounted to about $29.00 to $32.00. I found that I had more clothes to wash because of perspiration and the soil in my potted plants also dried up faster. In the day I already enjoyed airconditioning in the office or in places I had been such as food court, restaurants, Raffles Town Club, etc. In the evenings I do not want to use any more airconditioning as it is not healthy for the skin. I only put on moisturiser in the day, and in the evenings, after washing my face, I like the skin to have a chance to "breathe" without application of any cream. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why my complexion has a constant glow. Sometimes we do things perfunctorily without analysing or re-thinking because of sheer habit.

I really hope that everyone of us can play a little part to help save the earth. Let us remember the poor little animals that risk their lives for they could be run over by vehicles. Let us always remember to recylce and reuse, so that we can constantly replenish the earth.

Gan Cao

No comments: