Sunday, January 08, 2006

Are people really free with given freedom?

I read in today's New Paper and Sunday Times about the many women revellers who were molested on New Year's Eve countdown at Orchard Road.

Some men had used spray foam on the eyes of their victims, so that they could be at liberty to molest while the victims struggled to keep their eyes open. What cowardly and hideous act. Our government had graciously closed down the busiest street in Singapore in order that everyone could have a whale of time to usher in the New Year. Police had caught both locals and foreign workers. It would appear as if, given the freedom, these people suddenly did not know how to handle it. It is interesting to note that not a single tourist or foreigner was guilty of taking advantage of the crowded situation.

Toh Phaik Choo had brought three foreign friends to visit Orchard Road, and her consternation and embarrassment is understandable when her foreign friends were quite aghast at the pushing and shoving. They were surprised by the rampant spraying of foam by revellers. "Is this how you all celebrate Christmas? We celebrate with family members at home".

Although I live 5 minutes from Orchard Road, I did not join in the throng on Christmas and New Year's eve. I guess, with my phobia for crowds, I thought I would be more comfortable watching everything live on TV. I could still remember an incident at our school fun fair which was crowded with students, parents and the public. Just as I was taking out my purchased tickets and contemplating how to spend the tickets, a man came to me and just grabbed them from my hands in broad daylight! I was so stunned I did not even whimper for help! Since then, I avoided crowded places.

Two Malay ladies in tudung complained that even though they were decently dressed, they were not spared from being molested. One of the two ladies complained that although she was so old, she also got molested. When a man wants to molest a woman, age is not a vital factor. It is an all consuming power that he wants to exert on the fairer sex. In Canada, ladies in bikinis and bare backs are a common sight during the warm, summer months. Most people would take it as part of summer wear, and would not bother to take a second look. It would appear that for some of these perverse molesters, forbidden fruit is the sweetest. The more a lady hides, the more they want to see and touch!

Someone has rightly suggested that education is the key word. Foreign workers must be taught that our countdown parties are to be enjoyed and not abused. Some of them are smart enought to realise that our women here will not hesitate to report them, unlike the women in their countries. For the locals who think they can get away with their sneakiness, the government should increase the penalty.... extra caning for errant colour wolves who prey on innocent sheep.

No comments: