Friday, January 20, 2006

Real Beauty

I can never forget this incident. After church service, my second sister took me with her to the fun fair organised by the St. John Ambulance at their headquarters in Penang. St. Paul's church is located just opposite.

Just as we entered the building, a lady saw my sister and earnestly cried out, "Ean Ean! How are you? It's been such a long time!"

I saw the lady whom my sister called "Siew Fang". She has the most radiant face I have ever seen. Though plain looking with quite a number of pock marks on her pimply face, I thought she looked very attractive. Under the hot sun and armed with umbrellas, the two ladies were talking with animation and I just stood on, listening to their conversation, somewhat mesmerised by Siew Fang's glowing personality! The more I looked at Siew Fang the prettier she seemed.

It has been almost 40 years now since that incident; yet I can still recall Siew Fang's radiant
personality. Her joy, enthusiasm and warm heartedness had enhanced her looks. The world would probably describe her as a plain Jane..... yet it is Siew Fang's personality that often makes me think women can look so much better if they could focus a little more on character building and development of attitude. Too often, I have seen beautiful ladies sulking and pouting at the slightest inconvenience caused them, acting as if the world owes them a living! Strangely, after looking at them a little longer, they actually look less attractive.

I attended my niece, Christmin's wedding in Medan a few years ago, and came across this lovely poem printed on a T-Shirt which I would like to share with readers.

I would BLUSH with shame
if I CONCEALED the fact
that Jesus is my FOUNDATION.
He doesn't change like the SHADOWS.
His name STICKS on my LIPS all day.
My EYES LINE up on Him only. He
POLISHES my heart and brings GLOSS
to my life. The BEAUTY He gives lasts
forever. Why settle for just MAKE-UP
when you can have a complete MAKE-OVER?

2 Timothy 2:19

Gan Chau

1 comment:

jaffeboy said...

Well said. I surrender my all to God everyday. I, too, glow with radiance.... hehehe