Monday, January 16, 2006

Resisting Temptation

Chinese New Year is round the corner. Today for the first time I went to Chinatown to buy a table fan. There are two more weeks and already Chinatown is teeming with shoppers and tourists. This year, they have laser lights with all the zodiac of the 12 animals. The commentaries are in both English and Mandarin. Somehow it enhances with whole atmosphere and lifts up the New Year spirit. I only went home with the fan without buying any of the goodies.

I have a confession. Have a penchant for sweet things... hence desserts are always a must for me after lunch or dinner. This habit was picked up when I was studying in Canada where I learnt to enjoy pastries and desserts. My weakness is for the peanut cookies and love letters. I can finish one container of cookies within 30 minutes! Embarrassing! Now I dare not buy these cookies for I end up eating them before my guests do!

To resist temptation, I do not purchase them. When friends give me cakes I will try to pass the cakes to my friend's five children. If I give way to my sweet tooth, the kilos will pile up very easily especially when I am half a century years old! My client, Mrs. Lim and I will have the same practice of always leaving some space for desserts whenever we are at a buffet. Desserts somehow make a meal complete. Gosh! They have such a wide selection of desserts. The only way to resist temptation is to reduce or avoid buffets! Like Garfield, I have to..... sigh!

No comments: