Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Reflection

This evening, a good friend called me and asked me where I was having reunion dinner. She is on her own... a little better off than me because she has her own siblings in Singapore, whereas my siblings are all over the world - eldest brother in Canada, second brother in Penang, eldest sister in Sarawak and second sister in Melbourne. Yet, for some strange reasons Wah's siblings do not have her over for dinner. I am one of those who would cross only when I am nearer the bridge. I can have dinner or I can also fast.... whatever ... I would be just as contented and happy. Since Wah sounded like she would like to have dinner with me, I decided to to invite her to my apartment... I will cook and probably invite some non-Chinese friends over for dinner on Chinese New Year's eve... time to "show off" my cooking skills again. I will cook International cuisine..... probably Chinese herbal soup, Thai olive rice, Penang Char Koay Teow,
Nonya curry chicken, with French loaves, Indonesian panggang fish and Italian tiramisu dessert.

I suddenly think of Steven, an elderly American I had met as I went around Rialto Restaurant last year. I noticed he was often seated at the table located just outisde of Crystal Restaurant which was just across the road. He would be eating biscuits, and once I saw him eating Heinz baked beans from a tin can. He would drink from a large bottle of water container. I concluded he probably did not have much money on him. Hence when I decided to cook dinner for Amudah and her relatives on Chinese New Year Eve, I decided to invite Steven over.

He was the first to arrive, together with Wah. I was quite shocked when I saw him taking out a piece of tissue paper and popped in a false set of teeth! However, I pretended not to notice. I found out that he had been in Singapore for the past 3 months. He had printed lots of Christian tracts which he gave out to passers by. As his funds were running out, he slept at Changi Airport. He hid all his belongings where no one could see and had his shower at the Airport. I was touched that while he spent money on the printing of the tracts, he stinged on himself. I was happy when I saw him relishing the food and red wine. We played interesting games and Amu's little nieces and nephews danced to the music. It was an enjoyable evening.

Since then, Steven would come twice a week for his complimentary meals at Rialto till he went back to the States about two months later. I was always happy when I saw him enjoying a good and healthy meal of salad, pizza or pasta. Since Steven left, I have lost touch with him. Steven struck me as a happy and contented man. He gave much and asked for so little.

I am glad I have had the chance to bless him while I could. Perhaps the following poem best illustrates my philosophy.

Life is a long journey
And we are all but
travellers on this
long road of life.

Anyone that I can help,
Anything that I can do,
Let me do it there and then.....
For I may not pass this way again.

Gan Chau

No comments: