Sunday, January 22, 2006

Typing Skill

I wonder what has happened to the Pitman's system of typing and shorthand? I used to take up courses in typing and shorthand during my secretarial training. In those days we used the manual typewriter, and I achieved a typing speed of 84 wpm. Now with the advent of the computer my typing speed is almost doubled.

As my computer was in the "hospital" I had to use the computers at the Internet Cafe. I often received stares from other users, and one of them told me that my quick typing speed made him nervous. He had never seen anyone typing at such a fast speed. I guess the dexterity is enhanced by my piano playing.

When I decided to do my degree course after working as a secretary for 5 years, I thought it was a waste that I had spent one year for my secretarial diploma. How wrong I was. At the University, I realised I could earn some money by typing students' term papers. The charge then was C$1.00 per page. With my typing speed, it was not difficult for me to earn about C$30/- per day and even C$80/- on weekends. At the same time, I was also able to learn about good writing skills on numerous subjects.

I remember what papa had taught me.... that it is always good to learn as many things as we can. Whatever is worth doing, is worth doing well.

Gan Chau

1 comment:

jaffeboy said...

That is amazing typing speed. I wish I can chew up my treats or bone as fast as that.

It is right to learn alot of things & do them well. I have master taking treats out from all my treat dispensing toy at lightning speed, MaMa is going crazy thinking of new ways to make treats dispensing tougher.