Monday, July 09, 2007

Incredible Parenting!

Although I have to leave my flat at 9.00a.m. I will just miss my breakfast in order to air my views and frustrations in my blog. It was horrifying to read in the New Paper about the two toddlers who have to spend day and night outside of their home. Why? Just because their parents want their 9 year old sister to study in peace at home! The plight of the two toddlers has aroused the curiosity and pity of their neighbours.

The sister is only 9 years old! Is she preparing for her PH.D? Children are very adaptable to their environment. I grew up and learnt to study and do my homework, with my eldest sister playing the piano or my family watching TV - all within the same living room.! Sometimes, we could even hear loud strains of the Teowchew Opera when it was staged in our Village in Penang. I am now so immuned to noise that I can fall asleep in the midst of a karaoke session! I can continue to write on my computer right now, even though I can hear the din created by the school children from Beatty Secondary School which is just next to my flat. I thank my parents for not spoiling me. It would be unthinkable if any of my siblings had to leave the house, just because I needed to study.

As someone has pointed out, the family must be reasonably well off to employ two maids. Hence, the parents could easily make a sound proof room with airconditioning and let the toddlers sleep and play inside the room. This would be better than staying out in the void decks the whole day long. The weather is so hot nowadays. I feel sorry for them and for the maids as well. The two little boys are also exposed to more threats of dengue fever as they are out the whole day long. As someone has pointed out, the sister has to go to school. Why can't the two boys return to the flat when the sister is away? Two year old kids need proper sleep to grow up physically and mentally strong.

I suggest that the parents buy a penthouse or a masionette, so that the maids can look after them at the upper floor. I had written about the dog owner who tied his dog to a leash the whole day long in his courtyard, simply because he did not want the dog to poo everywhere. It is even more infuriating when parents handle their children with inhuman ways. The toddler's parents think of the most stupid solution to their problem...they are probably unteachable because when the reporter tried to talk to the father, he slammed the door at her face. Worse, now the maids have to bring the children as far as six blocks away from the flat!

Children are bound to be lively and noisy. If the parents want quiet children, they might as well not conceive and buy some lifelike toys.! It is ironical that so many childless couples yearn to have children; and those who have, should not treasure their God-given presents! The parents seem to use their 9 year old daughter as an excuse for the toddlers to remain outside. I half suspect that the problem lies with themselves.

The parents' treatment of the children is tantamount to child abuse. I hope the Ministry will look into this matter. If the parents find it such a chore to have the two toddlers, I suggest they give them away for adoption, where they will be greatly loved, often hugged and be given proper housing and nurturing.

No comments: