Saturday, July 21, 2007

With GST, Now Toilet Paper Also Must Buy!

Feeling somewhat hungry, and yet not wanting to eat anything heavy, I decided to patronise my favourite Cafe, Qi Qi, at Rochor Road as it was nearby. I specially like Qi Qi's mee Siam.

This time, I noticed that the price of $3.00 has been increased to $3.20, presumably to cover the 7% GST. I do not mind to pay slightly more for the mee Siam. The government has raised the GST and everyone is trying to cope with the new tax increase. Qi Qi is quite popular for its tasty local fares.

However, I was not prepared to find the washroom barren of the most crucial item ...toilet paper. When I asked the staff, she said, "Want paper, must buy ....30 cents!

I told the staff that it is imperative for owners, especially restaurateurs to supply toilet paper and soap in their toilets. These are two very essential items for the purpose of hygiene, especially in eating places. Instead of being reciprocative or teachable, she gave me an angry look.

Just then, my colleague Aveline called me on the mobile, and I told her about the toilet paper. "So how?" asked Aveline. "It's not urgent. I'm going to walk over to the MRT Station to use the toilet", I said within earshot of the staff.

Gosh! I realise that there is nothing we can do about the GST, but at least we can use the free public toilets instead of succumbing to the 30 cents charge for what should have been provided free anyway.

2 comments:

The anonymous blogger said...

hello aunty choo!

oh YEC stands for Youth Executive Committee. It's a branch of a community club's management committee.

The Oriental Express said...

Just you wait, Miss! Now that you mention it on your blog, some ardent government official will come up with the idea of charging 15 cents for one use of toilet paper (don't want pay meh, go to Qi Qi and pay 30 cents lah, they can tell you!)

Welcome to the Royal Flush! Follow the paper trail that leads all the way to the coffers of the Treasury!


Richard Tam
USA.