Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Singapore is the Diamond of My Heart

If Penang is the pearl of the Orient and the apple of my eyes, Singapore is the diamond of my heart.

I originally came to Singapore for holidays after my graduation in the University of Alberta in February 1983. Being the type that cannot sit still, I helped out in my brother's music and art school, and at the same time taught part time in the Regional English Language Centre. The Ministry of Education gave me a place at the then Insitute of Education to be trained as a teacher. The government offered us teachers citizenship upon graduation and since then I have been blissfully "stuck" in this little dot on the world map.

It will be too boring for me to list all the wonderful things about Singapore which readers already know and which other writers have written about. The most important thing to me is safety! I feel so proud when I see our men in uniform at the mrt stations and immigration check points on the look out for potential trouble makers. I feel so proud when the police men bothered to respond immediately to my call to wake up sleeping taxi drivers in vehicles with engines running. Trivial? But their action could save lives! I once tried to do that in Penang, and the police officer scolded me, "Gila kah? (Mad ah!) You wake up the taxi driver yourself!" I told the officer I dared not do so in case the taxi driver thought I might want to rob him. I guess I am quite "fanatical" about safety, for as I had written in my earlier blog, I had witnessed the May 13 riots in Penang as a school girl.

Since young, I had witnessed corruption even amongst the police force. My eldest sister was learning to ride a bike and did not have any licence yet. After all, she was only riding in the kampong (village). One day a police officer stopped her and realising she had no licence, wanted to fine her. "Paper work - $50/-. No paper work $20/-". Paper work refers to official fine. I am sure readers know what no paper work implies. My witty sister told the police officer that she had just won first prize in the Malay essay contest, and would not mind writing about her encounter with the policeman. He got the hint and said, "Baik lah. Kawan kawan ya."
(Ok. Friend, friend yes.) My sister got off without being fined. I giggled as we sped off. I was on the pillion and I was 9 years old.

Some people complain that Singapore is such a boring place as it is so small with nothing much. I have never felt a day of boredom for there is so much to do. Best of all it is because of the smallness, that it makes it easy for me to zoom around the island. I do not think I can still do real estate work in America or Australia or even in Kuala Lumpur as the area is too widespread and travelling from one place to another is tedious. I do not drive now, yet find it convenient to go around with my ahem! BMW No. 11 (Bus, mrt, walking.) At times when I am in a rush or am loaded with too many things to carry, I would hail a taxi. Great transportation system we have here!

I am one of those who are lazy to carry umbrellas. Hence I am grateful for our garden city which is full of shady trees. Of course, I am wise enough to take shelter in concrete buildings when there is a heavy downpour.

For the past 24 years I have my ups and downs. I do not have to keep up with the Joneses. I am contented with what I have and what I can achieve. The lady groomer at our office said, "Go for good clothes .... spare no cash in getting a few designer clothes!" I wrote a note to my colleague, "I am wearing a $3/- blouse now and my pearl ear rings cost me 90 cents and my shoes....$9.90". We smiled. I live happily in my small 3 room flat as I want to spend less time in cleaning up the flat. I do not want possessions to possess me. I want to be free.... so that at any time, I can just pack my bag and go for a trip overseas to unwind. I do not have to eat out at expensive restaurants.... I can whip up healthy, delicious home-cooked meals. I enjoy inviting friends to have dinner at my home or when I cook for our toastmasters' meetings and company breakfast meetings.

I treasure my good friends and clients. I have some great colleagues with whom I have developed great working relationship. I enjoy the freedom and flexibility of my real estate work. I do not have to rush during peak periods ....I go to the office at any time I wish to, as I can also work from home. As I have said that if we thoroughly enjoy what we are doing, it is no longer work but would appear more like a hobby! I am glad I have enjoyed my teaching, cooking and real estate work all these years. Who cares about what age one has to retire? As papa has always said, "Whatever you do, do it with all your heart and enjoy it!" As I have advertised for recruitment in the Staits Times, "Selling is no longer work when it is fun; it is like basking in the sun!" I enjoy my toastmastering activities and the many opportunities to learn from seminars, etc. I can watch English, Chinese, Indian, Malay, French, Korean and Japanese programs on the television. It must have been 3 years since the last time my friend, Soh Wah, brought me to the cinema!! I can listen to world class concerts at the Esplanade or can walk along the Esplanade in the evenings and listen to the lapping of the waves nearby.

A permanent resident commented in my blog that she too has grown to love Singapore and would be getting her citizenship soon. She realised that Singaporeans are often complaining and whining, taking things for granted. I remember once having shared over devotion at ACS that many of the boys came to school with long faces, even though they were driven in Mercedes, Jaguars, Lexus, etc. Yet the children in Nepal were always so cheerful, despite having to walk for an hour or two over dusty roads filled with cowdung and pot holes, just to go to school.

Let us all be thankful for the things that we are enjoying here. As National Day is approaching, while we hang the flag outside our homes, it is even more important that we carry the flag in our hearts, proud to be Singaporeans and thankful to God for His blessings and favour upon this nation. Let Singapore be small in size, but abundant in blessings, peace, and joy. Let us always be appreciative and be happy. Let us always remember all the good things that people have done for us, and forgive that one small little failure for we have our failings too. Let our hearts be always filled with gratitude to God in Heaven and people on earth and even to those six feet under, who have left many legacies for us to enjoy.

Singapore - the diamond of my heart! Let us all continue to polish this little diamond so that she will always shine beautifully and brilliantly.

Gan Chau

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

politics aside, i do agree that there's much to be thankful about living in singapore.

Anonymous said...

I've been living overseas but had to come back to serve NS.

I was surprised that alot of singaporeans are not too proud of this country, which i learnt when i was in NS. Hopefully time and experience will make them realise how fortunate we are here in Singapore.