Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Curtainless!"

"Aunty, are you using some kind of soft saree materials as curtains for your new home?" asked my niece, Yann, in her email. Yann lives in Kuala Lumpur, and being an arty farty type and someone who loves the aesthetics, will be coming to Singapore to help in her husband's art exhibition. Chin Hoe will be holding a one man art exhibit at Art Folio, Raffles Hotel in September. He is famous for his still life paintings on Chinese porcelain, furniture and fabrics.

"My dear, there will be no curtains. In fact, aunty has been "curtainless" for as long as she can remember since moving to Singapore," I informed my niece.

Curtains are lovely to look at. In fact, they dress up a home. When a home has no curtains, it looks less cosy and complete, like a half-dressed lady. Maybe the practical part of me has taken over the aesthetics part of me. I am too practical. I love the daylight and the moonlight to stream into the home. I am also someone who has the tendency to look out of windows whenever opportunities present themselves. Being the type who gets warm easily, I like windows to be open to admit all the breeze that can come in!

Also, being so busy, I try to cut down on my housework. :-) Curtains are heavy and difficult to wash. It is also too costly and troublesome to take them down to the dry cleaners. I always avoid curtains and carpets as they gather dust easily. I prefer to mop off the dust on the granite and ceramic floors. However, in Canada, it is imperative to have curtains and carpets because of the extremely cold weather.

Thank God that my flat has no blockage as the nearest high rise building is quite far away. Unless people use powerful binoculars! The two bedrooms get some morning sun, but I always get up before sunrise. Perhaps I may put some curtains for my guest room, as I would not expect others to wake up as early as me.

I wonder if any readers are like me.... curtainless or almost!

Happy housekeeping!

Gan Chau

No comments: