Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Amazing Yam

I like yams, especially steamed yam cakes. My guests often enjoy my steamed yam cakes which I have modified and created my own secret recipe to improve its flavour. Meticulous cook that I am, I even cook my own chilli sauce to go along with the yam.

When Aveline brought me to the vegetables farms near her house, I bought one fresh looking yam. I was planning to invite some guests or deliver some yam cakes to Soh Wah and family as they are fond of the dish. I am embarrassed to say that the yam had been sitting on my basket for 4 weeks before I deicded I should put it in the fridge since I did not have the time to cook it. By then, the stem had shrunk somewhat. I contemplated bringing the yam with me to Johore when I visited eldest sister, but felt bad that I should bring something I had bought 4 weeks ago. Another 3 weeks passed as my guilt increased. Gosh, if I did not start cooking the yam, it would surely turn bad.

Hence on the 50th day, I decided I would cook it in the simplest way... cut into slices and deep fry the yam. To my pleasant surprise, the yam was still fresh, succulent and tasty!! I told Aveline about it, and she was amazed. She had almost forgotten about the yam!

Next week, I am going to buy another yam, and this time, I must make a strong determination to make my steam yam cake within two days from the date of purchase
of the hardy root!! How wonderful if we human beings could be as hardy as the yam!

Gan Chau :-)

No comments: