Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Funny Goldy

If you think I am referring to a gold fish, you are wrong. I am referring to my students' Golden Retriever, Goldy. Mondays are special for me for it means I get to not only tutor my two students, Zhi Yi and Zhi Wei, but I also get to see their lovely pet, Goldy.

After having been given some treats, now Goldy associates me with food! No wonder she is all smiles whenever I am at the gate, calling out to her. She will wag her tail with enthusiastic, yet lady-like fashion, as if saying, "Ah! Here comes my good friend, and there will be food!" The furry bundle will park herself comfortably beside his master, Zhi Wei and later, his older brother, Zhi Yi. Whenever Goldy hears the opening of plastic packets, aluminium foils, etc. she would get up and is all alert. She would give you her paws without being asked, as if saying, "Don't forget my share!" Sometimes I try not to give her extra food because, Goldy is already somewhat overweight as she is, but she melts my heart especially when she gives you not one, but two paws, and I have to catch her two paws or she will be off balance!

Yesterday, I was teaching Zhi Wei the use of euphemism in writing and speaking. For example, it is not very nice to tell a person, "You are too fat and greedy!" Goldy suddenly barked, and Zhi Wei and I burst out laughing! "Oh! Goldy! I'm not referring to you!" Later when I narrated the incident to the boys' mother, Mrs. Jan Koh, she laughed and said, "Goldy probably recognised the words, 'fat and greedy', for indeed she's a very greedy dog".

The maid, Leah, is a very good cook, and would often give me a bowl of her delicious soup. I would often give Goldy the meat and vegetables which she would eat ravenously! She would also take fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and anything that is edible! How nice if everyone is like Goldy. Then mothers and maids would have less headaches when serving food on the tables!

I guess when Emerson said, "Everyone I meet is my superior in some way; in that I learn of him" he probably included dogs! Sometimes when I am fussy about my food, I remember sweet natured Goldy and I would just give thanks for the food and stop complaining!

Gan Chau

No comments: