Sunday, April 09, 2006

Early to Bed, Early to Rise

For the past three and a half decades, I have been a night owl, usually going to bed around 2 to 3a.m. and waking up about 7a.m.

My brother's childhood friend, Mr. C.K. Yeoh is in his late sixties now but looks fifteen years younger. Despite his busy schedules as a top executive where he has to entertain a lot, he always disciplines himself to go to bed by 11p.m. the latest and would wake up at dawn to play tennis. No wonder his youthful appearance belies his real age.

Recently a client, Mr. Edmund Ong, bought a two room condominium from my vendor. He told us that he is moving to a smaller flat as he is getting old. We thought he is in his forties and were very surprised when he told us he is a grandfather at 60 years of age! Still with a headful of hair, trim figure and sporty looks, he is ideal material for a very good advertisement for any slimming centre. Like Mr. Yeoh, Mr. Ong believes in going to bed early and having a daily exercise of at least 30 minutes. Since he is retired and beaming with energy, I suggested that perhaps he should start a business, helping people to look like 40 when they are 60. With so much obesity and stress around, it could prove to be a lucrative and beneficial business.

Recenly I read an article which advocates going to bed by 11 p.m. The liver cleanses the body toxin between the hours of 11.00p.m. to 3.00.m. Hence I decided to heed the advice given in the article and am now in the habit of going to bed before 10.30p.m. and waking up at about 4.00.m. I find my health improving and I also feel more energetic and alert.

It is interesting to note that the Creator has built in us natural mechanisms to help us keep ourselves in good health. So to my dear readers who are night owls, "Please try to retire ealier for the night.

No comments: