Thursday, April 20, 2006

What is Globalization? (Improved Version)

My buddy from the University of Alberta, Richard Tam, had written to

help enhance the original "What is Globalization?" Hence

here is the improved version. Hope you enjoy reading it, and

through the process, realise how small our world has shrunk!

Hence it important that we all live and let live, forgive and

renew, and learn from one another to make this world a better

and lovelier place to live in.

Gan Chau :-)

"INTERNATIONAL THINKING"


" Question: What is the truest definition of Globalization?

Answer: Princess Diana's death.

Question: How come?

Answer: An English princess

with an Egyptian boyfriend

crashes in a French tunnel,

driving a German car

with a Dutch engine,

driven by a Belgian who was drunk

on Scottish whisky, (check the bottle before you change the spelling)

followed closely by Italian Paparazzi,

on Japanese motorcycles;

using gasoline refined by Russians,

from the crude oil extracted by Iranians,

shipped across the ocean,

manned by a Phillipino crew

and macho Norwegians officers.

treated by an American doctor,

using Brazilian medicines

as well as Chinese acupunture.

This is sent to you by an American (Georgian),

using Bill Gate's technology,

and you're probably reading this on your computer,

that use Taiwanese chips,

and a Korean monitor,

assembled by Bangladeshi workers

in a Singapore plant,

transported by Indian drivers,

hijacked by Indonesians,

unloaded by Sicilian longshoremen,

and trucked to you by Mexican illegals.....

That, my friends, is Globalization ."

Adapted from http://theglobalvillageidiot.blogspot.com/

Gan Chau

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gan Chau,

Thanks for mentioning my blog. I am really impressed that you have taken the interest enough to leave some really flattering comments.
My blog is part of my senior thesis validating McLuhan's prophesy of a GLOBAL VILLAGE.
You response is live proof!

Thank you so much!

Regards,
Erin!

jaffeboy said...

Very clever.

Anonymous said...

did you attend U of A?

The Oriental Express said...

Yes, I did! I love the U. of A. and all my wonderful professors. If you look into my archives, you will find some hilarious articles on my various professors.

It has been 27 years now, but I am still in touch with my 3 buddies, Mo Shin, Richard and James, and we call ourselves the "Gang of 4". Almost everyday, we email one another and James' parents are now in their 80s. Mm... must make a trip to Edmonton to visit them one of these days.

Did you study at the U of A too? May I know your name? Do you have a blog too where I can read about your experiences.?

I love Canada .... love autumn and winter and downhill skiing. Fortunately I still remember the French I have picked up in Canada. Parlez vous francais aussi?

Choo Choo