Thursday, April 06, 2006

Blood Donation Please, Anyone?

One day, my student at River Valley High, Choon Mui, approached me and asked if I could donate blood to her mother who was undergoing surgery. I had never donated blood before, and like a heroine, I trudged to the Blood Bank. Pride before the fall! To my dismay, I found out that my haemoglobin was below the passing mark of 12. The nurse was very encouraging and gave me some packets of iron tablets.

The following month I went back to the Blood Bank and was delighted that this time I could donate some blood. They would take 330 cc of blood, equivalent to a can of coca cola. As my veins are tiny and well protected by layers of unnecessary fat, it is often difficult for the staff to draw my blood. I would particularly look out for a Nurse Lim, who is the most skilful. At first attempt, she would succeed, whereas others might have to try a few times.

Once a young doctor who looked like as if he was going to take the medical world by storm was preparing to take my blood. Seeing that his confidence somewhat smacked of arrogance, I did not want to warn him of my tiny veins. Dr. Wong poked his needle to draw.... no blood! He tried a second time and still there was no blood coming through. A third time.... still the same result and this time, it was apparent he was turning pale in the face! "I think you better come back again the next time!" he said. "No, Doctor Wong, the Blood Bank is quite far away from my home. Am not going to go back until you manage to take the blood. Please try again," I coaxed.
After the 5th attempt, Dr. Wong heaved a sigh as he saw blood going through the tube.

I am sad that after having donated 75 times, now I have to stop donating blood because of high blood pressure. But the Blood Bank is always so generous. The Bank still gives me ten years of free medical treatment at the various Polyclinics! As a blood donor, I am also given priority to see the doctor, without having to queue up.

Once my rough collie, Kambobo, needed blood transfusion very badly because of tick fever. "I'm a blood donor, doctor. Can I donate to my doggy?" The vet smiled and shook her head. "What group is Bobo's blood?" The vet told me that for dogs, there is no grouping. A healthy dog that has been taking heart worm tablets for 6 months could donate to any dog. The vet later decided to allow her own dog which she adopted from the SPCA to donate blood to my pet. How great is the Creator! If dogs had to have different blood groups, my Collie might not have been saved on time.

I can identify with the feelings of those who look at their loved ones lying helplessly on the hospital beds, and crying out for every drop of blood that could be donated to them. My pet dog's great need for blood transfusion has enhanced my realisation of the crucial necessity of having a ready store of blood in the bank so that every precious person in our country can be saved. I cannot serve in the Army or Navy; the least I can do is to donate blood, which I see as a small form of "National Service" to my beloved nation. I appeal to all healthy citizens and residents: "Please give the 'kiss of life' to your fellowmen. You may one day need it too. Blood donation plese, anyone?

Gan Chau :-)

No comments: