Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Day my Fiat Uno Became a Motor Boat

My friend, Judy and I decided to go shopping at Johore Bahru. I decided to drive there. Since I am mechanically sub-normal, I decided to take my Fiat Uno 1000cc for a check up so as to have minimal risk of the car breaking down in my neigbouring country.

Just after shopping at the hyperstore, Giant, we drove back. It started to rain very heavily. Visibility was quite poor, with the rain pelting down. Before I realised it, I had driven into the most heavily flooded area of the city! Other more experienced and alert drivers must have avoided that flooded section, but where angels feared to tread, I had driven right into the waters. Pedestrians and motorists who took shelter in the shops looked at us and some were grinning with amusement. For some strange reason, I was actually quite happy... for it is not everyday you find yourself in such a situation.... my car had become a motor boat!
I thought it was quite fun and Judy and I giggled like flippant schoolgirls!

Judy quickly pulled up her long skirt. "Oh! Oh! The water is coming into the car, Choo", she lamented. The engine had stalled and I was trying to get my mobile phone from my handbag to call for help, when Judy said, "Don't worry, Choo! Let's pray!"

"Rev the engine.... turn on the engine!" I turned on the key but it gave a discouraging cough and suddenly, the car moved slowly but steadily out of the flood. In front of us were two stalled vehicles.... a mini bus and a van!

Judy and I felt jubilant and grateful when we were driving. We knew our prayers had been answered. When we went into the shopping centre to have our tea, we could not contain our joy, and had to share our experiences with the sales personnel.

The following day, I brought my Fiat Uno to the mechanic to clean up. He could not believe his ears when I told him of our little adventure. "Impossible to rev the engine... impossible!", he said. Judy and I knew better. Our faith had been greatly uplifted! To the Creator of this lovely universe, nothing is impossible!

Gan Chau

No comments: