Monday, May 11, 2009

Gratitude

I had advertised a particular property in Holland area. A gentleman called and I thought his voice was somewhat familiar. He identitified himself as "Jiang". After a while I asked him if he was from my previous church and if he was a missionary in Nepal. "Yes, oh, it's you Choo! Have not seen you for a long time! How are you!"

Since Jiang came back to Singapore, he had taken oven the running of the family's hair saloon, as he is trained as a hair stylist. He still helps with the Nepalis in Singapore and Malaysia as he is fluent in the language.

Later, my colleague, Carrie and I showed him and his friend, James, some properties around the city and as it was quite near dinner time, he invited me and Carrie for dinner at Keong Siak Street. The food was excellent and we had a great time reminiscing the good old days and the fun time we had in Nepal. Jiang remembered with gratitude how I had blessed him and his fellow missionaries by cooking delicious Penang Char Koay Teow, Hokkien mee and Curry Chicken and other delicacies during the 2 weeks I was there. I had used spaghetti to make my Hokkien mee and improvised ingredients for rojak, etc. Jiang also remembered how I had housed Dr. Home in my apartment for a month when he came to Singapore to take his medical exams.

Jiang was surprised I could still remember the Nepali hymns and songs that I had learnt and that I could bless him in Nepali language! It is great to have an elephant memory! I remember the angelic voices of the children as they sang in Nanglay Village, and how we felt we could almost pluck the stars out of the sky, as we were so high up on the mountain!

I am humbled and grateful to God that Jiang remembered so many good things that others had done for him so many years ago. Papa often reminded us to have a heart of gratitude towards God and men, for gratitude always puts us in the right perspective of humility, joy and contentment.

I would encourage all Christians to at least take some time off for a short mission trip. We think we go to the third world countries to give, but we often receive more than we could give! We come back to Singapore, more appreciative of the wonderful things we are enjoying in this little island we call home.

Gan Chau

No comments: