Monday, November 23, 2009

Happiness is .......(19)

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


For the past 26 years that I had stayed in Singapore, I only started visiting the cinemas regularly the past one year when I reached the age of 55, a special number for it means entitlement to 50% discount on tickets sold on weekdays for daytime showing.

You may describe me as stingy, frugal or even impractical, but frankly, watching movies and paying a hefty price for the tickets was never my priority. After all, I could watch interesting movies and serials on the television. While watching the programs I could also kill two birds with one stone by doing some aerobic exercises in the comfort of the home.

Yes, once my best friend, Soh Wah did take me to the cinema during the 1st day of Chinese New Year. Like a greenhorn, I was flabbergasted with the price of the tickets of $8.00 when I thought it should be only $4.00` "When was the last time you visited the cinema?", asked my friend. I was pleasantly surprised when I found the seat so spacious. "This is a lovers' seat lah", explained Soh Wah.

Halfway through the movie, I felt my eyes closing and decided to get up and do some exercise as the cinema only had a few patrons. Soh Wah laughed and said that I reminded her of Mr. Bean! My lively friend had a great time narrating the incident to her colleagues and family!

Happiness now is when I visit the Jade or Rex cinema for Hindi or Tamil movies! Happiness is walking to the cinemas as they are within walking distance from my apartment. Happiness is when I have a whole row of seats to myself, but I will be happier if the cinemas are filled up because it means more profits for the movie producers and cinema operators. However, in the day, most people are working, so it is not easy to fill up the seats, unless it is during school vacations. Hence I am fortunate that as a property agent, my time is flexible and I can watch movies during the week days, as most viewings are on weekends or during the evenings.

Recently I went to watch, "Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani", "The Amazing Story of Strange Love", a romantic comedy starring Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif as leading actor and actress.

"Prem's (Ranbir Kapoor) mission in life is very simple - be happy...make others happy...keep the town happy... But these supposedly simple actions usually result in disastrous consequences for Prem, the members of his Happy Club, and the town!

It may have been a case of mistaken identity that led Prem to kidnap Jenny (Katrina Kaif). And it was sheer greed that made Prem try to pull a fast one over her father. As for sweet and simple Jenny, brought up by indifferent and uncaring parents, all she longed was to love and be loved in return.

And it was love and only love for Jenny that made Prem turn over a new leaf. From being a flippant vagabond he began working hard to make money... From a besotted Romeo, he becomes a mature and thoughtful Majnu who put Jenny's happiness above everything else...As for Jenny...she was so much in love with the idea of being in love that she was blinded by the reality that was staring in her face. That's when she realises that she had made a mistake with her love." (From Wilkepdia).

Watch the movie to find out more.! I enjoy Indian movies because the plots are usually good and the dances and music are mesmerising. Some of my friends think that
the dancers only dance around a coconut tree, but Indian movies have progressed very much where the dance steps have become more intricate and artistic, and the clothes colorful and elegant. My tenants Jasmin and Avinesh told me that dances and songs are crucial in Indian movies. Without them, the movies would fail to attract viewers. I noticed that in "Slumdog Millionaire", the directors added some singing and dancing at the end of the movie.

My next movie will be "Kurbaan" (Sacrifice). The punchline of the film is, "Some love stories have blood written on them".

Join me, anyone?

Gan Chau

No comments: