Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Favourite Things (1)

 

My favourite shoes - cheap, comfortable and charming!
 

My favourite arm chair donated by my best friend, Amu.
 

My favourite Teddy - prize for being first runner-up in Creative Outfit in the MAD Toastmasters' Convention!
 
My favourite pounder - helps me to come up with delicious Nonya dishes

style='clear:both; text-align:CENTER'>Posted by Picasa


"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with string,
These are a few of my favorite things"

The above first verse sung by Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music! Do you recall that? I guess all of us can identify with the lyrics, because like Maria von Trapp, we all have our favourite things.

My favourite pair of shoes cost me only S$6/-. Whenever friends see my shoes, they would say that the design is unique and cute. When I asked some to guess the price, they often say it would cost around $40/- and someone even thought it cost $120/-! Hence, they were surprised when I mentioned the price of $6/-. The taxi driver who was taking me to Houggang was quite muddle-headed and took the wrong turn, and I decided to get out of the taxi as it would be futile for me to reach my destination on time. Hence I decided to go the following day instead. The driver dropped me off near Farrer Park MRT station which was just one stop from my apartment. I noticed a huge white tent erected on the empty piece of land near Mustaffa Department Store and decided to check it out. I immediately saw a lovely pair of white and black shoes.

"Last pair", said the sales assistant.

I tried the shoes and to my surprise, they fit so well! Since it was only $6/- I bought the shoes within 2 minutes. They proved to be my favourite, and received many compliments. Best of all, the shoes were very well made!

I guess if the taxi driver had not taken the wrong turn, I would not have ended up buying my favourite shoes. Hence, sometimes when things go wrong, we must not be fretful, for blessings could be just round the corner! I remember someone had just bent down to tie his shoe strings even though he was late for work, and by doing so, missed the train. Later he found out that had he been on time, he might be killed in the train that was bombed by terrorists!

My next favourite thing.......drum roll!...... an old arm chair, a gift from my best friend, Amu. Noticing that nobody was sitting on the grey armchair, I tried it and soon fell asleep, oblivious to the music from the television and the loud conversation of the guests in Amu's apartment.

"Amu, why is no one using this comfortable chair?"

"Choo, you can have it if you like it", volunteered my generous friend.

"Really? The chair reminds me of a dentist's chair....so comfortable". I would sometimes take naps on this easy chair.

Not one who is crazy about stuffed toys, nevertheless, I just love this cute teddy in red woolen shirt. It was my prize for coming in as first runner up at the MAD Toastmasters' Convention last year. I had not planned to participate in the contest, but when the organising Chairman, Tay Yiang Ping, casually mentioned over lunch that she would mete out penalties to those not attired in mad outfits, I decided to rush back during the break to get the apron my sister had made for me as well as the huge ladle I used when I was operating Rialto. I was dressed as a MAD Chef, for on my apron were written: "Fish Head Curry - $20/-. Human Head Curry - $40/-.

I guess, it is therapeutic to let our hair down once in a while.

My favourite and faithful pounder has been with me for the past 24 years! Although I have an electric blender, but I still prefer to pound my chillies, onions, ginger and other ingredients when I cook Nonya food. For some strange reasons, curry tastes better when the ingredients are pounded. Like a true-blue Nonya, I am meticulous when I cook. I guess if I were cooking in a restaurant, it would not be practical to pound, but since I am cooking at home, a little extra labour will not kill me....in fact it will help me to lose some weight and avert the chances of getting Parkinson's Disease because I have to squat or sit on a low stool when I pound the ingredients. Like the crackling of fire wood during Winter, the pounding of chillies gives warmth and reassurance that guests will be well fed and taken care of.

I will list more of my favourite things in the following articles. My dear readers, what are your favourite things? Life's pleasures are not dependant on costly items but simple objects that bring us much joy and fun!

Gan Chau

No comments: