Thursday, December 18, 2008

Opportunities in Crisis?

I was so excited when I received an email from a toastmaster friend, asking if any of us would be keen to go to Thailand for a small group vacation. I was particularly attracted to the idea of swimming with a dolphin! Dolphins are my favourite and how I envied the staff at San Diego Seaworld who trained the dolphins and could swim with them and hug them! The lovely spa resort is near Bangkok, and the program and stay will be arranged by our Thai toastmaster friend.

"If you can group of 8 persons, that is the beautiful figure. I will reserve 4 rooms for twin sharing. The first day will be city tour to the Emerald Buddha Temple and the Royal Grand Palace. The second day will be the ancient city one hour away from BKK. This is the world heritage. The third day will depart for the resort and we will enjoy the city tour of Chantraburi. Will visit the Dolphin show and swin in the big sea water pond with dolphins. They are trained to be friend with the swimmers and only 15 swimmers at one time. In this program, you have to let me know first who want to swim because I have to make advance reservation.

The fourth and onward will be recreation and be pampered with the Thai massage and spa treatment. We have tennis court, swimming pool, steam and sauna rooms. You can play cards and enjoy singing karaoke at the Club House terrace. Beside, we can do some other activities according to your choices. On the 1st January will be departure date and we will drive you direct to Airport. Quotation will be quoted according to the number of passengers.

If your group are 6 or 8, the difference of land transportation is something. The price for room is basis of twin sharing with Breakfast. Lunch and dinner can be arranged according to the choices. There are varieties of foods to be recommended on site. I want everybody enjoy your stay and relax after the hard long working days. Air tickets can be arranged but you have to let me know how many passengers and your preferred time. How about the morning flight incoming and the late evening outgoing flight? By the way, you will enjoy the walk in the wood every morning. "

After reading the above, won't you be tempted to go.? Alas! There was this recent outbreak of crisis in Thailand. Thousands were stranded at the airports. Endless...endless problems which plagued the beautiful country. Probably this is why Air Asia is now giving away free tickets to Thailand to let people know that it is now safe to travel to Bangkok. I emailed to my toastmaster friend to ask if we are still going, perhaps not in December but in January since the free tickets are available from January onwards.

Is this what people mean when they say, "opportunities in crisis".? I remember how my two elder sisters told me they had enjoyed the church camp in Thailand recently in October and had a blessed time. However, it was sad that many had cancelled their trip because of their fear. It would be wonderful if we could emulate Queen Esther who declared stoically, "If I perish, I perish!"

I guess there will be many more opportunities in crisis. Let us be on the lookout and above all, be thankful that we have good friends, loving family members, great health, etc. etc. Let us count our blessings and name them one by one. It is better to be brave and living than to be alive and crippled by our own fear. Only yesterday evening, I reminded my potential agent recruit, Maya, that to be courageous does not mean not having fear, but to move on despite the fear!

Gan Chau

No comments: