Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Blessing in Disguise!

My client, Edward, had been not his usual wonderful self. He seemed to be unhappy and was delaying his payment of commission.

I decided to write him an email with the title, "Is anything troubling you"? I encouraged him to voice out his feelings so that issues could be clarified. It turned out that he was unhappy that the cobroking agent had not delivered his promise to deliver the flat upon completion of sale. I explained to him what had been agreed upon, and told him that since he had reservations, there would be no necessity for him to pay me commission until he moved into the flat in two weeks' time. I should have already given him our company's invoice on the date of completion, but knowing that he was upset over his father's hospitalisation, I did not want to rush him.

I was surprised when Edward called me up the next morning and asked me to meet him at Bukit Merah, during lunch time, as he wanted to pass me the commission.

As Edward was late, I noticed that there was a Singapore Pool just next to the cafeteria where I was waiting for Edward. On impulse, I decided, to buy my birthdate numbers - 1212 and 2112, paying a total of $4/-.

I told Edward that I was very happy as now I could go to the cinemas during the day time and pay $4/- as I am now definitely 55 and the first show that I would see would be a Hindi show, "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi".

"Happy Birthday, Choo", said Edward. "Thanks for being so patient and understanding. You're one of my best agents. Thanks too for being a friend."

You can imagine my surprise I when I found out that 2112 had come in first prize. I told my manager, Aveline, about it and she told me I would get $4,000/-!

What a blessing in disguise. If I had not met Edward at the cafeteria I would not have bought the tickets, as it is not my habit to buy numbers.

Sometimes when things do not turn up the way we expect, it could also turn out to be a blessing in disguise.!

No comments: