Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Face is Our Fortune!

I never fail to be amazed by the talent of film directors! All of them, regardless of race, language or religion throughout the world have the knack of choosing just the right actors and actresses for the right role!!!

Somehow a person's face can reflect and reveal his character to some extent. Perhaps this is more prevalent in people who are above 25 years old. I wonder if this is why an elderly friend of mine, shared with me the importance of growing old graciously. She asserted that if one has the milk of human kindness, compassion and a forgiving heart, one should become more beautiful or handsome as the wrinkles gradually set in.

Once I told another elderly lady that she looked really good, and mentioned that when she was younger she must have been even more beautiful. "No, Choo, I was a plain Jane...and a really plain one at that! I guess my looks improved with mellowness, inner peace and strength as age sets in," asserted Aunty Siew who is now in her eighties. When my friend showed me her photo taken when she was in her twenties, I was surprised by the transformation.

Hence, I wonder how UK Television Station Channel 4 could have invited anti-wstern president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran to deliver a Christmas speech? The Television Station could have chosen someone with a kinder looking face - a face that even kids and puppies will want to run and climb onto his lap and be hugged?

I am not a film director but having watched so many television serials and movies, I would certainly have made a better choice for someone to deliver a Christmas speech... a season of joy, peace and goodwill to all men on earth.

Hence my dear readers...take heart. Do not fret if you are less endowed. Develop the inner beauty in you. Increase and nurture the milk of human kindness, compassion, empathy and generosity in you. Grow old graciously and beautifully by enjoying life to the maximum, and being always ready to forgive, so that the serenity on our face will not be marred by lines of bitterness. Above all, be ready to accept others, and love them as God loves us and has given His Son for us that we may have life and have it more abundantly.

Indeed our face is our fortune. Let us maximise this fortune! Even as we are blessed, others will be blessed by our good fortune too.

Gan Chau



No comments: