Wednesday, December 03, 2008

What is Mathematics without Mental Calculation?

Yesterday, I was rushing for my violin lessons and reached the Braddell Heights Community Centre punctually at 4.00p.m. However, my teacher was still teaching. Hence I decided to run down to the office to pay my fees of $85/-. I gave the administrative officer $100/- and there she was chatting with her colleagues. I told her I had to rush. To my surprise, she took out a calculator and then paid me $15/-.!

Suddenly I remembered a conversation with my tenants, Jasmin and Avinesh. They were both very proud that in India, most people could just calculate very fast without using the calculator. They have noted that people here would often use the calculator for the slightest amount!

I had also observed an elderly store keeper, Mr. Haleem, an Indian Muslim. He could calculate mentally with almost the speed of lightning. I am impressed with the alert mind of this 85 year old man.

I had never passed Maths throughout secondary school. But I am quite adept in calculating mentally. You know why? Let me tell you a secret. My fingers are too fat and when I first started using the calculator, I often could not key in properly because two numbers would appear because my excess fat had exceeded the boundaries of one key.! Hence, I would often end up calculating without the little electronic device. If the figures are too complex, I will calculate on paper.

My ability to calculate mentally also came about because I was fiercely protective of my parents whenever we went marketing. I would not want anyone to cheat papa of his hard earned money. Quite a number of times, I had told the vendors they had short changed my parents. Soon I became quite well known for my eagle eyes and sharp mind. I want to laugh because if only those people had known that I was often confounded by seemingly complex mathematical formulas but which would appear exceedingly simple to my clever classmates.

Now to solve the problems of my fat fingers pressing on two keys simultaneously, I have bought a big calculator with huge keys and big numbering. Alas! The big calculator is too cumbersome to be carried around in my handbag. Hence, I am back to square one!

I am still counting mentally as in olden times. Nevertheless, what is mathematics without mental calculation? If I can add, subtract, multiply and divide accurately, I can still survive when I shop, pay bills and calculate my clients'
rental and purchases of properties. :-)

Gan Chau

No comments: