Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Don't know polyteak lah!

I often write to my three buddies from my University of Alberta Days. The oldest, Mo Shin, hailed from Taipei, Taiwan. The second, Richard, hailed from Hong Kong and the third, James was born in Canada. I was born in Penang and am the youngest in the "Gang of Four". Mo Shin now works as an IT consultant in the States; Richard lectures in a university in Indiana while James practises law in Hong Kong. My three buddies are very successful. Richard is powerful both in English and Chinese while James speaks and writes in 8 different languages! Though we are all in different parts of the world now, we still cross-email to one another. They are particularly very intersted in what is going on in Singapore. My buddies know that I am only concerned with animal and children abuse... and that I am not a polyteak type of person. In the "Gang of Four" James and Richard always like to argue with each other on politics. Whereas I only know how to cook well....hence the new econo-mee!

Having concocted my new dish, the Econo-mee, now I must think of how to sell it and make it popular. Hence, I have come up with some little poem to recite each time I want to promote the new noodles. Here goes:-

Tok! Tok! Tok! Econo-mee,
Singapore noodles for you and me.
Calling the rich, the poor, the middle class,
Come, try my econo-mee without any fuss.

Ah ma, ah kong, ah soh, ah tee, and MP,
Lai, lai, lai, try my new econo-mee,
It's a cross between tok tok mee and kolo mee,
50 cents, $2/-, $8/-, $100/- or more,
Just pay from your heart's core,
Like Annalakshmi, give what you can pour,
For the economy to grow forevermore!

Bush and his officials, come and taste our hospitality,
In Singapore, we have a great economy,
Leave your peanut pay, and come and stay,
Because for our ruling party, it means Pay and Pay!

Don't ever leave without a bowl of econo-mee,
Everyone must try it to boost our economy!

Gan Chau

No comments: