Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Restless Fingers

When I was watching, "Making Miracles" on TV, I laughed when I saw Fann Wong's less than school-girl-like hairstyle. It looked like her hairstylist must have woken up from a bout of heavy drinking, and just snipped off her hair in half-drunken stupor. Horror upon horrors - to find out that it was the popular hairstylist, David Gan, who did her hair!!! I read in the papers that many fans protested against the ugly haircut even as David defended himself and gave tons of rationale for his choice of this hairstyle for a successful young doctor, Su Yan as portrayed by Fann.

Fann's hairstyle made me smile each time as I recalled how I had snipped the fringe of my playmate, Ah Sim. I had also snipped the hair of another playmate, Ah Hoo. Mother still remembered how she wavered between tears and and laughter as Ah Hoo's grandmother brought him to our house, demanding an explanation as to how her grandson ended up with his hairs snipped long and short by me!! Henceforth, my family would hide all scissors away from me.

Once, armed with a pair of scissors, I also cut our pet dog's hair. Nothing wrong with that, except that when it was done by a six year old kid, the result was abominable! Poor dog! It should have gone around barking and protesting that his doggy furs looked really awful!

I also got hold of my aunt's pair of beaded Peranakan shoes, and decided to cut off the flaps that covered her feet. Wondering why my cousin's synthetic comb looked so strong and lasting, I decided to snip off the teeth!!

In the bus, I used to absent mindedly tear my bus tickets to shreds so much so that when the inspectors checked my tickets, they could hardly read the print! I am glad that we now have plastic link cards.

Now I can look back and smile. I am glad I have outgrown my less than desirable childhood habits. Is any of my readers like me with "itchy hands"? Come on, please share.

Gan Chau

No comments: