Wednesday, April 25, 2007

When the Rain Came Down....

 

 
Posted by Picasa


The above pictures were taken from an overhead bridge just by The Coronatiion Plaza at Bukit Timah Road. I just could not resist taking the pictures. It suddenly dawned upon me how fast the canals get flooded with water just an hour after a torrential rain! Last Monday, I rushed down to Coronation Plaza from the Central Business District to collect my client's cheque for an office unit. It was only starting to rain. It rained heavily as the taxi plied along and when I reached my destination, the rain was pouring down even more furiously. After meeting up with my client, I could not resist trying out some Penang cuisine at a nearby building.

As it was difficult to get taxis in such a weather, I decided to cross the overhead bridge to catch a bus to my office. Suddenly I saw the heavily flooded canal. Immediately I thought of the song I used to sing in Sunday School.

The wise man built his house upon the rock (3 times)
And the rain came tumbling down.

And the rain came down and the floods went up (3 times)
and his house stood firmly on the rock.

The foolish man built his house upon the sand (3 times)
And the rain came tumbling down.

And the rain came down and the floods went up (3 times)
and his house came tumbling down.

Yesterday, I read about how four school children were swept by the canal during a downpour and one of them, Debra Koh, died as she was the only one who could not swim.
The other three who could swim had a narrow escape. When the children entered the canal to retrieve a fallen bag, the water barely covered their ankles. A few minutes later, it started raining, so they took shelter under a ledge overhanging the canal. Ten minutes later, water startd gushing in, and soon all four were swept downstream by the powerful water.

Once after the rain, I took my dog, Chelsea for a walk. I noticed that water was gushing down from a bigger drain onto the smaller drain in my estate. The water rushed down so powerfully like a waterfall. At such times, I would not unleash Chelsea for her usual run, for I was afraid that if she were to fall into the drain, the powerful flow of water would just wash her away.

The canal drowning was a tragedy. How I wish the kids did not take shelter under the ledge but climb out fast from the canal as soon as it started to rain.

My condolence to Debra's parents. It is even more poignant as Debra is an only child. Students must always exercise caution in every situation. It is always better to be safe than sorry. I have a phobia for water. I enjoy looking at beautiful sceneries of lakes, oceans, canals, rivers, waterfall, swimming pools, etc. but I dare not immerse my legs into the water. Mm... I guess it is high time I overcome my phobia and learn to swim!

No comments: