Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Pearl of the Orient

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


The Pearl of the Orient! From the above photos, you will understand why Penang has always been described as the Pearl of the Orient. I love it it too as my name, "Choo" in Chinese means pearl. Mm... it implies I am also as pretty as a pearl lah!

Penang has been blessed with beautiful beaches. During my last visit, my nieces, Yann and Tyng and I decided that we should spend a day by the beach and we booked 4 hotel rooms at Lone Pine Hotel fronting the beach at Batu Feringghi. The hotel building is old, but charming and full of character. We just enjoyed sitting outside the balcony of our rooms and played games and drank soft drinks and wine.

This time, I noticed that the people in Penang are quite entrepreneurial. There are so many activities on the beach. Tourists can ride on a horse, rent a motor-scooter to ride on the sea, or go sky parachuting. I have a phobia and would not dare to try any of these activities. Hence I could only look on with awe and admiration.

I also noticed that there were quite a number of stray dogs who were very much at home along the beach. They slept under the shade of the trees and towards evening, they even went to have a dip in the water! Clever dogs! What a great place to be!

The food in Penang is just delicious. Penangnites have the gift of cooking! You can try any food you want, because in Penang, no hawkers or restaurateurs will survive if their fare is sub-standard.

If you have not yet had the chance to visit this lovely island, make it your next itinerary! The hotels by the beach are usually fully booked, especially during festive and peak seasons. So prebook early and enjoy your stay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh Ganchau! You know what, my chinese name is Lim Mei Choo, also using Choo = pearl! Hahaha.. what a nice coincidence :D