Thursday, April 19, 2007

MURDER!......

If you are expecting to hear of some kind of murder.... I am talking about the murder of the English tongue by sms! Probably Professor Higgins of "My Fair Lady" would have turned over and over in his grave umpteenth times since the advent of mobile phones and short messaging system.

An extract from Mohd. Ridzwan's blog examplified this assasination of the English Language.

CUM FOR BREAKFAST ANYONE?

If a stranger were to take a look at my phone, he or she would most probably think that I’ve been engaging in work time sex.

Take a look at some of the SMS that my wonderful female colleagues have sent me this past week.

“Hey r u cumming?”

“Can I cum your cubicle?”

“At mtg room. Cum now.”

“Im cuming. Im cumming. Lvl 5 right?”

“U wanna cum 4 breakfast?”

I’m not sure if many people know this, but “cum” is actually a legitimate word in the English language. Dictionaries do list this much-maligned but equally notorious word and it actually, ehem, means something.

But some clueless ladies have been using “cum” as a short-form of “come” since I can remember, oblivious to its real meaning. Maybe they should hang around guys more often. Ladies, it’s fine to use abbreviations when you SMS. But “cum” shouldn’t be one of them ok?

posted by Muhammad Ridzwan Rahmat at 12:09 PM 7 comments links to this post

My insurance agent often sent me sms, begining with , "Mad. Kam, just to remind you of our mtg this afternoon." I often have to assure him I am still very sane, not mad.!

In a way, I am glad to have retired from teaching otherwise, I would be pulling my hairs in frustration when marking students' essays and comprehension work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is something i really can't stand. super grating! i don't even understand what the sender is trying to say sometimes. thank goodness i don't have to decipher these sort of messages too often.

The Oriental Express said...

Mohd. Ridzwan is a good writer. You can read his blog, http://ridzwan.com