Sunday, September 16, 2007

Am I an old aunty terrorist?

After work, I wanted to go to the Value Shop at Toa Payoh to buy some note books for the Indian members in the Tamil Ministry of my church. As the quantity would be about 60 books, I decided to bring along my luggage trolley. I won't feel the weight as I can lug the trolley around. Since I live in the city, it is easy to zip around in trains. I always try to take the train as it is faster and more economical.

I was somewhat surprised when a security officer stopped me at Dhoby Ghaut Station, and asked to check my luggage trolley. I was calm and smiled as I opened my bag. She also asked me to open my handbag. Later she thanked me and I went down the escalator to catch my train. The train had just left, thus leaving me with some time to look at myself at the mirrored glass door.

"Do I look like a terrorist? If I do, I must be one fat terrorist.! I took a close look at my face. Mmm....a little boyish looking as I just had my hair cut the previous day. After all, a potential recruit agent had addressed me as "Mr. Kam Choo Choo." Couldn't the security officer tell that I look like one of those demure, innocent looking aunties with five children and eighteen grandchildren? Or did I appear to her as someone with a sex-exchange operation? Or is it because of my serious appearance when I don't smile? I smiled at my own thoughts, and soon some passengers were also smiling at me!!!

Nevertheless, I still feel proud of our eagle-eyed security officers! It is better to be safe than sorry. It is better to be paranoid, over-cautious and forever alert! Terrorism is no laughing matter!!!

Gan Chau

No comments: