Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Innovative Ways of Eating Raw Vegetables

When one thinks of raw vegetables, one immediately thinks of Caesar Salad or Mixed Greens with your typical salad dressing. Of course, there are those extremely health conscious people who would go for "naked salad" ie. salad without any dressing!

I love mint and basil leaves. The Thai basil leaves are a lot cheaper than the ones used for making pesto sauce in Italian cooking. I enjoy making some sambal udang (spicy pounded dried prawns) and eat them with mint or basil leaves. Really appetizing!

I also make my own salad dressing which is a combination of Italian and Asian. I would use lemon juice with extra virgin oil, and add some salt, sugar, pepper and a dash of sesame oil. It is fragrant and delicious.

My eldest sister, Lee Lee, taught me how to take fresh cucumber in an innovative way. Take a whole cucumber with some seedless "suan mei" (dried plum). Take a bite of cucumber with a small bite of dried plum. So simple, yet the taste is quite phenomenal. Whenever I am too tired or busy to cook, I would take some cucumbers with dried plum.

Do my readers have any innovative way to eating raw vegetables? I would like to hear from you. Please share, and together we become slim and fair! :-)

Gan Chau

No comments: