Sunday, September 09, 2007

Good Cholesterol because of Love of Animals!

Very often, when people meet me, they often have the impression that I have high cholesterol because of my heavy weight. Once, my colleagues, Jean Mah and Sally Tan and I decided to walk to Orchard Point from our office at Park Mall. I was trying to catch the opening hours of OCBC bank before it closed. Both Jean and Sally had a hard time catching up with me, and were surprised that I was not even panting despite the brisk walk.

When I went to the Victoria Market in Melbourne, I was sad when I saw rabbit meat on sale. My sister, Ean Ean, knew I would rather starve for dinner had she put rabbit meat on the table. Once I was a little suspicious when I asked my Canadian landlady, Mrs. Smith, what was the meat dish that had been cooked. "Eat first, Choo. Tell you later". I refused to even try and later found out that it was deer meat! Immediately I thought of Rudolf, the red-nosed reindeer, which easily came to mind because it was around Christmas time! Many of my friends know that I do not take beef, mutton and lamb as the smell is too pungent for my sensitive nose.
While travelling in China in 1987, I refused to touch any of the meat dishes that were served, lest I ended up eating dog meat! Whether it is an urban legend or not, I want to be able to touch and pat every dog I meet.!

As I grow older, I become more fond and appreciative of God's four legged and winged creations. Of course, watching Animal Planet and Discovery Channel has enhanced my knowledge and respect of these lovely creatures. I love the cute penguins which look like gentlemen in waist coats, as they walk smartly in rows! I love even the wolves and foxes that somehow remind me of dogs. My heart goes out to the otters, seals and sea lions as they wobble on their bellies to escape their preys!

I am becoming more and more of a vegetarian as I enjoy fruits, vegetables and nuts.
In the process, I have been able to maintain a good cholesterol level.

Have some apples, anyone?

Gan Chau

No comments: