Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Rat Race

 

The Rat Race by Kam Kee Yong

Eldest brother, Kee Yong, is well known for his black and white drawings. The Rat Race was shown in his previous art exhibit at Art Folio, Raffles Hotel in Singapore. The painting depicts people trying to climb the ladder of success, each outdoing one another.
with some using mean tactics.

I am grateful that our wonderful papa had never pushed any of us in our pursuit of education or success. He always talked and reasoned with us. He always said that as an earthly father, he could only do so much, but God the Heavenly Father could do even much more than him. He reminded us that he would not be able to leave behind lots of money or properties for us to inherit. But Papa left us a rich legacy of his abundant teachings which he knew would put us in good stead when we became adults and making the most that life could offer us. Most importantly papa wanted us to enjoy what we were doing. He encouraged his children to do what they excel in. Papa knew my love for reading and writing exceeded my love for playing the piano. He never pushed me. I still managed to get distinctions in all my music examinations. Recognising my talent for writing, his fatherly instinct knew that I would want to publish my writing in future and he gave me the pen name of Gan Chau (Licorice). Papa hoped that like the herbal plant, my writing would encourage and inspire my readers, providing a balm for their wounds and disappointments.

In school and in the working world, I try my utmost in all that I do, and let nature take its course. Praise God if I end up top in the class or top sales agent in my company. Also praise God if I end up at the bottom of the barrel. Papa always wanted us to have a balanced lifestyle. More importantly, to enjoy living to the fullest.

Let us all join in the race ... but let us remain as human beings - not rats! :-)

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: