Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Erhu Busker

 


Every time I go to my office, I would see an elderly gentleman busking with his erhu. He usually parks his paraphernalia along the patch of grass by the passageway between the Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station and Park Mall.

I love the erhu. The first time, I strained my ears to hear the tune that he was playing. To my surprise, I realised that the song was mostly out of tune. The erhu is an instrument that often fills listeners with poignancy. It is jarring to the ears when it is out of tune.

Despite that I would put in some coins when I pass by the busker. One day, I decided to greet him and to find out his name. He told me his surname is Liu. Ever since he lost his job, he had found it difficult to find a new job. Hence, his idea of busking. I requested Mr. Liu to play a popular Hokkien tune, "Bang Soon Hong". I sang along with him, in a subtle way to guide him. One of my colleagues passed by, and mischievously asked me if I were busking. Later I sang some more songs by the late Teresa Teng.

Gradually, Mr. Liu improved. For someone who has taught himself to play by ear, Mr. Liu is talented. He only needs a little guidance and encouragement. I am happy for him that now he can play his erhu with more feelings and enjoyment.

Gan Chau




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo choo choo !
You're such an inspiration and you have a heart of gold.
Thanks for writing and sharing your stories.
God bless.
Lynn

ps. We met once at your brother's home in Toronto. My son was studying violin with him for many years.

The Oriental Express said...

Hi Lynn,

So it's yoy, Lynn. Thanks for dropping the note. I have noticed someone from Toronto reading my blog articles. What a small world!

Thanks for your encouragement. Do you have a blog too?

Cheers.

Choo

Anonymous said...

Hi Choo,

Indeed it's a small world, I found yr blog while googling for Ning. I was searching for her new CD & concert dates. We are big fans of hers.

I'm glad I found your blog, your writings touched my heart. I was too "pai seh" to leave comments before =P but I thought I just have to let you know what a wonderful person you are. I see Jesus' love through your actions...

No, I don't blog, if I blog, I'll blog about crafts, travels, cooking, & dogs. I have a cute JR terrier.

Lynn xo
bluela2@yahoo.com