Wednesday, July 30, 2008

In Memory of Kamlette, Kambobo, Kam Xiao Bai

 
Posted by Picasa

My beloved dogs: (From left to right) Kambobo, Kam Xiao Bai and Kamlette

In his book of Ecclesiastes, (Chap. 3 verses 1 to 8) King Solomon had written that there is a time for everything. How wise of him.!

I am always eternally grateful that I have had the opportunity to have 3 pet dogs in my life, albeit at a later part of my life when I was 35! It all started when my ACS boys rescued 6 puppies from the mangrove swamp while on a geographical expedition. I was persuaded by my students to adopt Kamlette as my pet. Even at the age of 16 and a half ( 115 and a half in dog years) when I put Kamlette to sleep because of kidney problems, Kamlette was still looking good with beautiful eyes and fur.

Kamlette did not have body odour like pugs and dogs with folded skin. In fact, as my friend, Carrie had commented, one could detect a fragrant odour of baby powder. The vet, Dr. Oh, also confirmed her unusual body odour. I guess the Creator knew He had blessed me with an unusually sensitive nose! Although Kamlette was a mongrel, she looked more like a pedigree......a golden retriever. We could detect strands of golden furs on her body! She was an extremely affectionate dog. I guess my smooth and shining facial complexion must be thanks to her constant licks of love!

Whenever I sent someone off to the airport, I would take Kamlette for a drive....her favourite! She would stick her head out of the window. Once she must have stuck her head out too much for the police officer on a bike, overtook me and turned around, gesturing with his hand for my dog to withdraw her head from the window. Anxiously, I told Kamlette to put her head in and to my surprise, she moved to the front seat and gave me some licks on the face! When I told my friends about the incident, one of them, James, said, "Your dog is trying to tell you not to worry lah; only $70 fine!"

Kambobo was my second dog. I bought him out of compassion for his owners who had to downgrade from a landed property to a rental HDB flat. Bobo was an elegant rough collie. He was a gentle giant, always letting Kamlette have her first share of everything. Unlike Kamlette, Bobo would prefer to sit down quietly whenever he went for a car ride.

Kam Xiao Bai was a Chow Chow given to me by his owner. Many people had offered to buy Xiao Bai from her, but she reckoned I would love her dog as much as she did. Whenever I walked my two dogs, I would pop by to look at Xiao Bai. I often told my friends that Xiao Bai is a d-o-g given by G-O-D!

I could go on and on about my 3 lovely dogs; will probably write a book about them later on. For now, I should not bore my readers except to say that I am glad I had gone through a season of having 3 pets in my life. Keeping dogs is a lifetime of commitment. I am glad that I had given my love and care to my pets and derived much joy and knowledge. The wonderful memories of my pets would be forever etched in my brain cells. My regular vet, Dr. Oh asked me once why my three dogs must be called Kam. "Of course, they are My dogs...therefore, surname must be KAM lah". Dr. Oh raised her eyebrows in mock exasperation of perhaps, crazy dog lovers like me.! I guess vets, though they love animals, are more down to earth people than those who merely love dogs.

Now I am contented not to keep dogs as pets because it is physically demanding. I am contented to help my neighbour, Irin, walk her dogs and sometimes volunteer to dogsit Chelsea for Shahnaz when the family go on holidays. Whenever I see dogs on the streets, I would pat them and get to know their names.

A time and season for everything. I am glad I have enjoyed keeping 3 big dogs while my legs were still running strong. Looking after my three dogs also meant digging into encyclopedias and internet articles to read more about animals. The great experience has left me ....ahem..... as a little walking encyclopedia of dogs!

Gan Chau


No comments: