Thursday, July 31, 2008

Self Appointed Journalist!

 

Photo taken of someone with a bright idea of snoozing under the protection of an umbrella near the Dhoby Ghaut MRT. His trousers with white and black checkcs imply that he is a chef or cook working in a restaurant nearby.

Just after I completed my 'O' levels and Secretarial training with a shorthand speed of 100 wpm and a typing speed of 60 wpm (on a manual typewriter), I tried to apply for a job in the Eastern Sun, now, a defunct newspaper in Penang. In those days, personal recommendation was as crucial as one's qualification. It was papa's friend who recommended me to the Editor. However, unfortunately the editor, the late Mr. Chia, was not impressed with me, and I was not given the job.

Realising that there was a public forum in the Eastern Sun, I participated in the contest, and for my ten attempts at different topics, I clinched 8 first prizes and 1 second prize. Shortly after that, I left for Canada for my tertiary education. Mr. Chia did an editorial write-up about how pleased and proud he was of the standard of English prevailing in Malaysia at that time. He had written that someone asked whether the first prize winner was a middle aged lady! He replied that the writer had just completed secondary school! (Sometimes, the devil in me wondered if Mr. Chia ever regretted for not taking me in as a junior reporter!)

Sometimes I day dream about being a reporter, and how I would be the first to be at the scene of a fatal accident or a gory suicide.! How I would be at the airport to write about some celebrities. Dream! Dream! Dream! Now, armed with a digital camera which I carry with me everywhere I go, I try to snap interesting pictures. Why sleep and dream? It is better for me to be awake and make my dream a reality!

Hence, I was thrilled when my photo was selected to be published in the New Paper. "Does the New Paper pay you?" asked Charles, my practical colleague.

"I don't know. It doesn't matter to me.....not everything must be translated into $ and Cents. Some things are done out of passion eg. helping with language evaluation at toastmasters' clubs, etc.

My heart went out to the poor chef in deep slumber. It was amazing how soundly he slept despite the noise of heavy traffic at Orchard Road. He is certainly innovative and creative. I am glad that my ex-staff in Rialto could rest in the restaurant during the afternoon break instead of having to resort to sleeping outdoors. Restaurant work is tiring and demanding, and a short afternoon nap will provide refreshment and energy for work at dinner time.

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa



No comments: