Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Eternal Road Payments

 

ERP gantries are becoming as common as trees in Singapore!
 

 

What is the man on the bicycle thinking? "Hee hee, am enjoying my freedom on two wheels!"

"What is ERP?" asked James Dunlap, my university buddy from Canada, who is now practising law in Hong Kong. Since the time he asked me the question, many more ERP gantries have been erected all over the island.!

We are really an "instant" country. From instant noodles, to instant marriage, and now to instant ERP which has a few nicknames - Every Road Pays, Eagle-eyed Road Payments, or I think quite appropriately, Eternal Road Payments, just to name a few. With the increase in petrol and now in ERP charges, many drivers have started to leave their cars to bask in the comfort of their homes or paid car park lots. Hence it is not surprising that the MRT and buses have become jam packed overnight. Now it has given me even more motivation to lose weight, so that commuters will not be intimidated by my bulk, and I can squeeze into the train.!

My friends and colleagues now compliment me for my foresight. I have always wanted to live in the city so as to cut down on travelling time as well as expenses. Hence a flat that is within my budget would be one that is located in Little India, which is just one MRT stop away from my office at Park Mall in Dhoby Ghaut. During the evenings, if I happen to be in the office, I would prefer to walk back than to take the bus or train. It is easier for me to breathe in the open air than to suffocate in a congested bus or train.! Since most of the units that I am marketing are quite close to where I live, I often walk to my clients' properties. Now walking a distance for about 45 minutes is quite a common habit for me.

As I was walking by the ERP gantry located at the junction of Orchard Road and Handy Road, I smiled. My "BMW 11" fears no increase in charges! I wonder how drivers feel as they go through the ERP gantries.? If I were to drive a car, I would feel as if I were going through a guillotine! Each time my cash card clicks, I would feel as if my head has been decapitated!

How I wish the authorities would be a little more patient. Warn motorists of a potential further increase. Hence those who are planning to buy cars may reconsider doing so. The authorities should have got ready their bigger fleet of buses and increase the length of the trains so that more people could be picked up on every trip.

Eldest sister Lee Lee laughed when I told her about my BMW. She said with an unmistakable cheer in her voice, 'Choo, your petrol is the oil in the body. No wonder you have lost 10 kgs. Good for you! Keep driving!

Gan Chau




"
Posted by Picasa

No comments: