Saturday, July 19, 2008

My Heroine and Inspiration

"Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content."

Profound words from a great lady who was born blind and deaf. For many of us who are born with sight and hearing, we may even fail to see the golden splendour of autumn or to hear the wonderful chirping of the birds.

Only recently, I have been pondering over the question, "If I have to choose to be blind or deaf, what would I choose?" I also posed the question to many of my friends. Some were somewhat taken aback, because they had never really pondered over the question. Seeing and hearing everyday is as perfunctory as having lunch at the stipulated hour.

"No, I would not want to lose any", said Alex adamantly.

"It really depends on whether the person is more visual or more aural...." suggested Jean.

"Ah, you've not quite answered my question......you have to make a choice, my dear,"
I coaxed.

"I guess, if I were deaf, it would also imply that I would be dumb.....a double whammy! Phew....I think I would prefer to have my eyes," concluded Jean.

As for me, I love flowers, animals and nature. But then I love music too. Good music can move me to tears.

"Oh! Dear God. Please keep my ears and eyes intact. If I had to lose any of them, please give me the same courage and contentment as Hellen Keller had".

Gan Chau

No comments: