Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What is life, if full of cares? (Computers are Really Essential, Sweetheart)

Gosh! A decade ago, I bought a computer from my student tenant, Vincent. He had to cash out some money urgently and could think of nothing but his computer. Since he would be upgrading anyway, he thought he would dispose the computer to realise his cash. I gave him the price he wanted.... hate to bargain with someone who is in need.

It is absolutely no problem for my arty farty family to learn to play any kind of musical instruments but we are terrified of things electronic and mechanical.
I was absolutely fearful of the computer! There it sat in my living room, looking so formidable and cold, like some bomb waiting to be detonated if I as much as pressed the wrong button! Vincent had taught me how to use the computer, but my mind just could not register the process! It took me ages to type one letter... eventually I gave up. Hence the computer was literally left to rot and gather dust and dogs' hairs. In the end, it protested and died a premature death and was donated to the karang guni man. I had literally killed the white elephant!

A few years later, a friend, Andrew Lee, donated his old computer to me. He kindly helped me to set it up, and taught me how to use it. I used the telephone line to do email. Hence the speed was rather slow, but the slow speed was suitable for me, because I was equally slow to manage the machine. With so much coercion from my nieces and nephews who egged me on to communicate with them by email, I forced myself to persevere. Soon I was progressing and found the dial up speed too slow However, the computer decided it had enough of me and bid me goodbye. It died a premature death like my earlier one.

It was timely that I won a lucky prize... a computer with printer, scanner, all intact. I had to learn how to use the printer and scanner. My friends taught me patiently. This time the speed was faster as we subscribed the usage of broad band.

Now that I am more familiar with the computer, I am able to type at about 150 wpm.
How wonderful to be able to communicate with friends all over the world, and do away with the tiring trip to the post office to weigh your letters and purchase stamps. With the set up of my blog, I am able to communicate and exchange ideas with other blog writers and readers locally and in different parts of the world.

I have been pleading with my older siblings to learn the computer, and sister Ean Ean told me she does not even know how to turn on the computer. "Aiyoh, old already... what for learn", she lamented. Although we could communicate by phone, it is so much more expensive. Whereas with the computer, you can write endless pages of communciation! Not only that, you can organise and chose your words carefully. With the phone, you may run the risk of saying words you should not be using.
Whereas on the computer, you can rethink and rewrite.

I was very encouraged by my friend, Peter Richardson, who came all the way from Brisbane to take a one month computer course in setting up web pages. He is in his fifties!

I started learning the computer when I turned half a century years old. I am still learning more aspects of the computer. Hope my article will encourage all those of you who are terrified of the computer like I used to.
If Choo can handle the computer, so can you! Try it! What is life if full of cares? (Computers are really essential, Sweetheart).

Gan Chau

No comments: