Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The New Productivity Campaign

When I was studying in the University of Alberta, I noticed that many of the Caucasian students did not like to have children for fear that it would impede their career paths. There were many childless marriages. It made me think of the "Stop at Two" campaign in Singapore. I wrote a letter to the Press, urging the government not to have this campaign because I could foresee history repeating itself. What happened in the West could also materialise in Singapore.

A few years later after graduation and settling down in my teaching at River Valley High School, the Stop at Two campaign was taken off. Our government realised that not enough children were born and hence the encouragement to have more children.

Again I wrote to the Press the following. My little niece of 8 years old helped me to draw some cartoons.

THE NEW PRODUCTIVITY CAMPAIGN

Two is enough,
Three is even better,
Four is excellent,
Five is patriotic!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

jaffeboy said...

I think zero is the best cos I don't want to share MaMa & PaPa's love with more "siblings"...