Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Have Faith Will Carry Things Over

In December 1992, five friends and I decided to go to Kathmandu for three weeks to give our missionaries a helping hand. Since I was the cook, I decided to pamper our missionaries with local cuisine like char koay toew, fried hokkien mee, etc. Knowing that some of the ingredients could not be obtained in Nepal, I bought fresh prawns, koay teow, bean sprouts, etc. I also knew that the people in Nepal are generally quite poor and collected a lot of old, but good clothings, toys, books etc.

At the airport, I met one of the ladies and both of us waited until it was almost close to departure time. We no longer wanted to wait and proceeded to the check-in counter and there we saw the rest of the group who were waving frantically to us as they were about the close the counter! It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we were allowed to check in my excess baggage of 200 kg! We pleaded with the officers that the items were mainly donated things for the underprivileged.

Once, Dr. Home, the Nepali doctor who worked closely with our missionaries was in Singapore for his medical examination and stayed at my apartment for one month. Again I packed a few boxes of used clothes, toys and books for him to take back to the church members. You should see the face of the officer! He was flabbergasted by the grossly excess weight. Again I pleaded that we should not be taxed because the excess items were for the poor. He walked over to talk to his boss, an Indian lady dressed elegantly in sari. I could see her head going sideways and my heart leapt with joy! When Indians shake their heads, it means "Yes!" Dr. Home's faith was also uplifted and I was extremely happy when he told me how glad the people were to receive the gifts!

Dr. Home came once again for his final set of medical exams. As usual I packed extra boxes of donated items. At the airport, the officer was very adamant on our paying for excess baggage charges. Just as I was thinking hard, another officer, with sleepy eyes, spoke loudly in Mandarin, "Move! Move! Hey, you are not the only ones travelling! Move!" I was annoyed at his rudeness, and when I get annoyed, I get anointed! I became extra fluent in my spoken Mandarin! I spoke in an equally loud voice, "I'm sorry if you have just woken up and are still tired. But it does not give you the right to be so rude!" Suddenly I heard someone calling me. I turned around and there was this lovely young lady grinning from ear to ear!

"I recognise your voice Ms. Kam! Wow! Now you speak good Mandarin!" the young lady exclaimed.

She was Hui Ping, my ex-student from River Valley High. I found out that she was also heading for Kathmandu and that she was working as a director with the then Television Corporation of Singapore.

"Going to Nepal for missions too?" I asked.

"No, for a fashion show! There are seven of us in the team".

I burst out laughing because I think of the half-naked children and inadequately dressed women in Nepal. A fashion show - of all places!

Hui Ping volunteered to ask her boss whether they could help us with the excess baggage. Since I was her teacher, her boss readily agreed. Imagine our joy!
I was even more excited when I found that one of the team members was Fann Wong. I had just seen this new star in her first movie, "The Challenge" and I knew in my heart that her natural acting talent would let her shine brightly as a star. Since I am not one of those who go around chasing movie stars in concerts, roadshows, etc. I was so thankful that I could have the chance to meet Fann Wong and 3 other stars in the quiet of Changi Airport at 6.00 o'clock in the moning!
My friend, May Cheong and I went back from the airport, our faith greatly uplifted!
Faith can certainly move mountains and carry things over!

Gan Chau

No comments: