Friday, February 10, 2006

Have Faith Will Find a Lost Friend

At the airport in Kathmandu, our Nepali pastor asked me whether I could help to provide accommodation for one Nepali who was on his way to visit his elder brother in Sydney. For some strange reason, the airline that Ramesh flew in, did not provide accommodation in Singapore. I readily agreed to house Ramesh for two days. Extended some Singaporean hospitality to Ramesh...took him to sight see a few intersting tourist spots.

On his way back from Sydney to Kathmandu, Ramesh again stayed for two days at my apartment. He told me that he lives in Pokhara, a small town on the mountain which is famous for her lake - Lake Pokhara. Ramesh gave me his postal address which showed a letter box in the Post Office. He told me he lives opposite Lake Pokhara, and that should I visit Nepal again, I must give him the opportunity to return hospitality.

My missionary's wife, Esther, decided to deliver her second child in Singapore. Shortly after, I decided to accompany her back to Kathmandu so that she could have extra help during the flight. It would not be easy to travel with a baby and a three year old child.

Our missionary, Guan Cheng and his wife, insisted on taking me to Lake Pokhara to spend a few days, since I misssed it during my first trip. I was astonished to find that Lake Pokhara is quite big and there are many houses around the lake. How was I going to find Ramesh? While we were rowing the boat, our missionary teased me, "Choo, you have such a loud voice.... shout for Ramesh... probably he might hear you!" I knew that Guan Cheng was pulling my legs, but I prayed that indeed if God wanted Ramesh to meet me, He would bring Ramesh for the reunion.

Back at the Hotel, we decided to have our tea in the garden instead. Our missisonaries are great jokers and I was laughing heartily at their jokes. I am well known for my earth-trembling laughter and loud, clear voice. Just then, a young Nepali walked up the few flights of stairs to the Hotel and there was Ramesh!
He told us that he had just come back from Mount Everest where he was a tour guide. He was walking past the hotel when he thought he heard a familiar voice and found me!

Ramesh was overjoyed and brought me to meet his family. His house was just a short walk from the hotel.

Have faith indeed will find a lost friend!

Gan Chau;

No comments: