Thursday, February 09, 2006

Have Faith Will Go Up 73 Storeys

My second sister in Melbourne was hurrying me up with my application to migrate to Australia. I thought I would do something for Singapore before I left. As it was quite a last minute decision, I found I had only 8 days left to raise funds for the First Vertical Marathon held at Westin Hotel. I asked my Sec. Two classes in River Valley High School for help. To my surprise, the students collected about $760/- in donation in just 3 days.

"Wonderful! How did you do it?" I asked the students who were glowing with pride. "Very simple Ms. Kam. We used the technique of persuasion you taught us. We told the donors our English teacher is so ooooo fat and she is participating in the vertical marathon! Don't you think you should support her?"

Somehow my school principal found out about my intent to participate in the vertical marathon. She called me to her office, "Sure, you can do it, Ms. Kam.? Can be dangerous you know....stroke, knee-injury, heart attack, etc."

I smiled sheepishly and told her with whatever confidence I could muster. "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength".

We had to run up 1,336 steps of Westin Hotel, then the tallest hotel in the world.
I knew it would be too taxing for me to run, so I chose to climb briskly as fast as my legs could carry me. After 19 minutes I reached the helipad at the top.. What a on "top of the world feeling!" What a panaromic view of the city! Found out that the fastest time achieved was 9 minutes and the slowest was 59 minutes. I was a little above average. The final amount raised was about $1,200/- because some of the sponsors had pledged $1/- per floor, thinking perhaps I could only complete, at most 10 storeys!

You can imagine my joy when I wore the event's T-shirt with the wordings, "I climbed the world's tallest hotel and took the lift down!" Have faith, will go up 73 storeys!

Gan Chau

No comments: