Monday, February 13, 2006

Love is an International Language

My eldest brother shared with me a true experience. When he first went to London to study, he was awfully miserable because he was limited by his English vocabulary. Since he was from a Chinese school in Penang, his English was far from fluent. It was a struggle for him to understand his lecturers.

His Violin Professor noticed that he was often quiet and unhappy. In an attempt to be caring and approachable, he enquired about my brother's well being. "Go away! I hate you!" my brother declared. Professor Forbes was not deterred by his student's uncalled for rudeness. His understanding and patience soon won my brother's trust and affection. As my brother's English improved, he became a happier person as he was able to express himself more.

During the Royal School of Music Examination in Singapore, Professor Forbe's son, Michael, was one of the examiners. He shared that his father liked my brother so much that he called their cat, "Kee Yong Kam". My brother told Michael to let his father know that he called his pet beagle, "Professor Forbes".

Love, indeed is an international language that everyone understands and transcends all cultural and geographical barriers.

Gan Chau

No comments: