Thursday, February 09, 2006

Have faith will run Like An Athlete

It was our Annual Sports Day and one of the highlights would be the Teachers' Race. This is the race that would get students and spectators most excited. It was also my first year in River Valley High School. To be co-operative, I joined the race. A 4 X 100 metres event. I was in the last third lane. When I turned around I saw the long, lanky legs of the Physical Education Teacher, Catherine. In front of me was my vice-principal, Mr. Chong. I prayed I would overtake Mr. Chong and that God would help me to run fast and not let Catherine overtake me.! "Yes, Lord, help me to run like those two guys in the movie, Chariots of Fire. Harold Abraham and Erica Liddell. Just for today, Lord."

When the gun went off, I ran as fast as my somewhat short legs could carry me! I overtook the Vice Principal. Catherine did not overtake me.! The students squealed with delight! Our team came in first, with the runner up way behind us! Later one of the Chemistry teachers, Mr. Leong, came to apologise to me. "Ms. Kam, when I saw that you were in my team, my heart sank. Sure to end last! But you ran like lightning! Sorry for having misjudged you."

Later one of my students told me she was nervous when she saw that I was going to participate. "I was so afraid you'd make a fool of yourself and I prayed so hard for you. Ms. Kam, you ran so fast... unbelievable!"

I am not the sporty type. I could never handle tennis or basket ball. Once I shot the basketball inside out of the net! Yet, the unforgettable teachers' race would be imprinted not only in my mind but in the minds of the spectators too. Have faith will run like an athlete!

Gan Chau

No comments: